Allnet All0258

Hello everyone,
I'm just new here and a total rookie about firmware stuff for routers.
I have a few older Allnet All0258 Accesspoints and have the problem that they are designed to have a Wifi Speed of max. 54 Mbit/s but i can not set them up that they will have this 54 Mbit/s they just transfer with a max. speed of 20 Mbit/s.
So i was thinking that is a issue with the firmware.
I found the information that the firmware version to use here is 8.09 , so far so good but then when i go to the download page and choose the atheros chipset, (which is build inside the All 0258) i get several files i could download but i have no idea which one i should choose, properly it would be the root one, but even there is a root.jffs2-128K and a root.jffs2-64K. I have no idea which of these files will be the correct one or how i can find out which one will be the correct one.

Anyone can tell me which one to choose ??

It's very old, "unsupported" in newer releases and older releases have several known security vulns apart from ancient and painfully slow hardware. Do yourself a favour and recycle this hardware.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your post, yes i know that they are pretty old but they doing a solid job as a wifi AP and Bridge. there are a few of them installed already and i just need a bit more speed now. If they will do around 40 Mbit/s that would already be enough for what we do with them if we have to replace them all that would be a bigger job then just update them with a newer firmware also we have spares for the installation which we have then also to replace that will be then already a bigger investment. So we like to get them running.

https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/allnet/allnet_all0258

AR2313 at 180 MHz, 802.11b/g

Past what diizzy points out, you're not doing yourself any network favors running 802.11g and its quite possible that the SoC can't go any faster. You can purchase more capable routers for around US$20 or less.

1 Like

Hello Jeff,
i understand that i these days it is more easy rater to trow away all equipment and buying new stuff then just use what you already have and what still does the job.
If we all would do so there would be a incredible amount of junk in this world and a nice old car you would also not just trow away even a new one has more options and is much more efficient on gas consumption, or not ??
As i have described before the material is already proper installed and the exchange would also be another extra work to modify the mounts.
So we just ok if we can get a bit more speed out of this if it would be possible and we can live with this AP's for a few years more.
So still the question is which firmware we should download to ensure we will not brick the AP's ???

Realize that 54 Mb is the raw bit rate were the 802.11g transmitter running 100% of the time, and at its highest possible bit rate. The transmitter can't be on 100% of the time since it has to wait for acknowledgments from the other station and pause if a neighboring wifi device is transmitting. If signal conditions are not ideal, packets transmitted at 54 Mb will not get through and the link must negotiate to a lower speed.

20 Mb is typical for actual throughput with 802.11g. It's not something that can be improved with better firmware.

If it is possible, some tweaking could be to disable the b modulations and enforce a minimum bit rate. That will help a little.

3 Likes

Thank you MK24 this is a post i really like to read cuse this is something i can work with and accept.
Thank you very much for your technical information.

@danithai if you have a UART to USB adapter and ability to solder pins to the board, I can help you get this board working on the new ath79 kernel base

if so start a new topic in For Developers catagory and @ me

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.