Airties Air4920 Extender

The AIrTies 4920's and 4930's are both 2.4G and 5G ABGN Devices. They are not newer WiFi 6 devices. I use one AirTies as a WiFi Access Point. Works great. Thought I would need to mesh some together but the one covers my office all the way down to the parking lot with no issues. 500Mbps up and down on my phone. Doesn't max out my 2.5Gbps up and down fiber connection but still plenty fast.

As for why they don't show up on the app. Basically the app verifies the serial number. If the serial number by the provider was marked as destroyed or out of service the app will no longer connect to those devices. I got some of these via eBay and others from ATT. Used ones off of eBay I have noticed normally still work with the app. Ones I have gotten from ATT once they were out of service would not connect. Here is a link to the data sheet for this device. https://eyenetworks.no/wp-content/uploads/2018-08-air4920-datasheet.pdf
The datasheet does specify add up to 9 nodes to the mesh. So it could be that 10 is the max limit and that is why the others wouldn't load on the app.

The problem is that you won't get more than 802.11g speeds (roughly half of 54 MBit/s) with b43, and that's what would matter for running OpenWrt on this hardware.

I understand now. Yes I could see that but as far as I know there is no OpenWRT or any 3rd party firmwares for this device that I know of. It has been a few years so there might be now. But once again they have locked these things down so hard that as far as I know no one has been able to easily make these things useful again once they are on the newest locked down firmware. 2.44.6 is the last version I have been able to test and use without these devices locking down immediately on a phone home serial number activation request. My device runs 2.49.4 which is just ATT's version of 2.44.6. I have even blocked the communication on PF-Sense and the device still goes into a lock down state if it can't verify. Any of the newer firmware 3.x has this activation phone home crud and makes the device useless if it can not verify. I am pondering going hardware level and physically copying the storage and hex editing the serial and mac addresses to match the hardware and reflash the storage on a bricked device just to see what would happen. They are good devices when the work. A shame and so wasteful for them to just lock down and brick your device that you even probably had to actually buy from the provider to begin with. Just because you changed your provider can't use something you paid for. Greedy thats what that is.

In the case of Openwrt, it's the lack of proper FOSS drivers from Broadcom, nothing's going to change here.

If you find some 3rd party fw with a Broadcom NDA, congrats.

https://openwrt.org/meta/infobox/broadcom_wifi

Broadcom has gotten greedy as well over the years. Look what they just did to VM-Ware. Instead of just buying ESXi, vCenterServer, vSan, etc... now its an extremely high monthly subscription. Everything has turned into a subscription. Even Routers, WiFi Access Points, Switches, etc.... Juniper, Brocade, among others. You have the 10/100/1000 switch hardware but if you want gigabit speeds you have to buy a license. No thank you. Same with the 10Gb switches you want to activate a 10Gb port you have to buy a license. Sorry that is just greed and is stupid. Tons of proprietary crap in the world these days. So much electronic waste. Like Microsoft and Windows 10 support ending soon. Something like 21 million computers will become obsolete because they cant run Windows 11 without tweaks and stuff because of the hardware requirements.
I could rant forever. Sorry this was off topic.

Thanks for the datasheet. We don't use ATT, so it is fortunate the AirTies still work. So, I have 12 AirTies altogether. 10 had firmware version 1.33.10.1.1368, and 2 had firmware version 1.3.25.3. Further with my experiment, the 10 with the latest firmware showed up in the app. When I turned off all the other nodes, the 2 with old firmware didn't show in the app. Thus, I suspect the old firmware is causing the device to be missing in the app.

Thanks all for the help and advise.

Now, trying to push the boundaries to see how many AirTies can be meshed up and be seen in the app; and what's the coverage.

Do you still have that link available?