Airodump-ng does not output the scan result to the UART console

I successfully connected Putty (Windows 7) and OpenWrt 18.06.4 (TP-Link TL-WR841Nv13) via UART. I have airmon-ng and airodump-ng installed. Everything works, but airodump-ng only shows a black screen instead of scan results. Ctrl + C closes airodump-ng. Although through SSH (LAN wire or WiFi) airodump-ng works as it should.
Why so? How to output scan result to UART?

Trying to use "graphical" terminal applications over a serial line is a hit-or-miss kind of thing.

For various boards and various applications, I've had to check multiple terminal applications to find "the one" that happens to work for that application. I have yet to find just one that works for all needs.

So the problem with Putty?

Potentially, yes. I don't use Windows so I can't comment meaningfully on PuTTY or what other alternatives you might try. On macOS, FreeBSD, and Linux-based distros, I have used screen and miniterm (Python 3), and probably a few others I've since forgotten.

I tried miniterm (Linux)... and nothing.
Then I connected a logic analyzer to UART. The router's response to the "airodump-ng wlan0mon" command in the picture. These are the three escape sequences (starting with 0x1B 0x5B). It does not send any data.

1 Like

However, the command airodump-ng --help shows help ... but does not output data during scanning.