I've been searching, tweaking, and failing for days now. I've got a Linksys EA6350v3 running the Optimized build for IPQ40xx devices by NoTengoBattery. Everything seems to be working well with this build. With one major issue that I assume is my doing.
I'm currently connecting my Macbook Pro to my router running as an Access Point via ethernet and my router is connecting to a WPA2 network as a client using PEAP / EAP-MSCHAPv2 on the 5GHz radio1. The router is able to connect, authenticate, get a DHCP IP address assigned to my router by the enterprise router and get out to the internet as expected. (I had to uninstall wpad-mini and went with wpad-wolfssl for the Enterprise networking.)
As you surmised from the post title, my upload speeds are terrible. In the Associated Station info, the TX Rate is great. It fluctuates between 40 Mbps and 100 Mbps. The problem is that any device connecting to the router is getting less than 0.8 Mbps, even using an Ethernet cable. (I've also tried using WiFi to connect to the router with the same results.)
I've got SQM / QoS turned off. I've experimented with Software flow offloading being enabled/disabled, setting the MTU to various sizes, and enabling/disabling MSS clamping. None of these have made a difference. I've also tried disabling/stopping the firewall through the System Startup LuCI interface (although I didn't reboot after stopping the firewall).
Do you have any pointers for other settings to check or diagnostics to get to the bottom of this?
So your OpenWrt router acts as a WiFi client, right?
Is this only about client devices getting slow speed, or does the OpenWrt router itself get a slow speed? Have you run the speed test script on the router?
e.g. the speedtest-netperf package that is in 21.02 and master, see
You mentioning that also devices connecting wiredly to the openwrt router are slow makes me to think that there is something wrong with the connection to the enterprise stuff.
Are you using router/firewall functionality in OpenWrt at all, or is everything on Lan zone?
Thanks for pointing me to speedtest-netperf. I ran it and am getting the same slow upload speeds (less than 0.5 Mbps), so it's definitely between my OpenWrt router and the building router. (Also speedtest-netperf is now down because it exceeded the monthly bandwidth.)
I've got the wireless interface (I've named it WWAN) in the wan firewall zone. I haven't changed any firewall rules. Do you have any recommendations on fine tuning the wan zone?
Sorry, no real suggestions. Just some small ideas.
I didn't spot the country setting in your WiFi settings, so you might set that, as if affects the radio capabilities somewhat.
One possibility might be an overlap in addressing, both the building network and you using 192.168.1.x as the local address space. That would cause routing trouble and slowness. You might test changing your router to use 192.168.2.x or some else. (Just check what is the IP address on the wwan interface. It can't be the same as in Lan)
Problem solved. I had to switch from the NoTengoBattery build to the standard build (I used v 21.02.2), uninstall wpad-basic-wolfssl, install wpad-wolfssl, and everything is working as expected now. I'm finally in the promised land of 100+ Mbps uploads.