ADSL connection IPoEoA

Hi all,

to connect to my ISP I need to configure a IPoEoA connection which I can't find in the list of possible connections.
I can't find anything googling.
Can somebody help me ?


In that case either try dhcp (if the ISP did not give you username and password) or PPPoE. That might work...

IPoEoA is Ip over Ethernet over ATM, so, it is assumed that I must estabilish an ATM connection.
Anyway, I've already trested all the possible connections, but none is working.
On my old router, there is an apposite IPoEoA mode.

My ISP gave me credentials for PPPoE and I have been using DHCP successfully.

You might try cloning your MAC address.

Well, which ISP are you customer of and what kind of modem are you using?

My ISP is FastWeb.
In the past I've used a cheap TP-Link TD-W8960N and now a Professional router Huawei Quidway AR19-15.
Both have IPoEoA, which is different from PPPOA or PPPOE, the IPoEoA doesn't require a username and a password.
I'm shure I'm missing something like some LEDE package or something like this.

I've found a user searching for the same solution, but unfortunately he was using a wrong router...

Silly question, have you tried following the instructions on or on'installazione.pdf. To me this looks like simply using DHCP should work, assuming the modem uses the correct VPI: 8, VCI: 36 encapsulation LLC. This fits with some of the example configurations for modems listed under "Non hai acquistato il modem FASTWEB?" on
Does the modem actually report that the dsl connection is in showtime?

Edit: I just remembered in the past I was with an ADSL-ISP that used DHCP on its link, but there was an additional ctach, they only alllowed a limited number of host addresses per customer and rejected connecting to devices with different MAC addresses once that number was exhausted (they allowed to reset the list to allow changing which 3 or so MAC addresses they alllowed), if your ISP does the same you might want to clone the MAC adress from the modem that worked/works onto your lede device.

Here it is, it worked in this way ...

the needed protocol is RFC1483, so, from an ssh connection:

root@LEDE:~# br2684ctl -c 0 -e 0 -a 0.8.36
br2684ctl[19746]: Interface "nas0" created sucessfully
br2684ctl[19746]: Communicating over ATM 0.8.36, encapsulation: LLC
br2684ctl[19746]: Interface configured
br2684ctl[19746]: RFC 1483/2684 bridge daemon started

this creates the interface nas0

at this point, I've created a WAN connection throught LUCI, specifing "DCHP Protocol" (as you described) and indicating the newly created nas0 as physical device.

I would have preferred a solution out of the box, anyway, now I need to make permanent this setting that will be lost at first router reset ...

Since I was not happy with this custom solution, I keept working on moeller0 suggestions and my router logs, I discovered with dmesg command that the nas0 interface created by boot has been renamed as dsl0, which is not listed in the available physical devices.

[ 30.497637] ATM1.0.26 ATM (A1) firmware version 0.24
[ 30.501507] ifxmips_atm: ATM init succeed
[ 31.499484] dsl0: renamed from nas0
[ 68.391063] enter showtime, cell rate: 0 - 2391, 1 - 2391, xdata addr: 0xa6a40000

So, here is the final configuration, that worked for me, without custom configs:

Under menu Network->Interfaces->ATM bridges section I've entered my ISP dsl config

VCI 36
Encapsulation LLC
Forwarding mode (on advanced setting tab) bridged

then edited the WAN connection

Protocol "DHCP Client"
and finally, the gold trick ...
on "Physical setting of WAN" chose custom and specify "dsl0"

it works like a charm

Anyway, I think something is missing on LUCI about this mode of internet connection, because if I go back to WAN configuration, none of available choices is marked and dsl0 keeps to be not listed, while, on general setup, I can clearly see status of dsl0

Thanks for your help :wink:

I believe the introduction of dsl0 instead of nas0 for ATM anf ptm0 for VDSL is very recent and might have some bugs left. It would be great if you could report this also in the[]= bugtracker to get official feedback how that should work. Tho goal of the change seems sane, allowing to keep the same configuration but change between ATM and PTM encapsulation on the link (some ISPs use DSLAM/MSAN ports that allow both modes and it would be sweet if lede is robust against changes of that plink property, but I digress).

Best Regards

I did it now, I've reported this to lede tasklist as you suggested.

Thanks for this suggestion

Thanks a lot!