Adguard Home help needed

Noob here.

I installed and configured ADH while my router was still not functioning as the main router, so it got different DNS and gateway addresses.

With OpenWrt router being my only router now, I can no longer access the ADH GUI.

Can you point me (in basic terms) how to access the config (yaml?) and make it work again.


Are you saying that this software is in the OpenWrt or the removed device?


1 Like

SSH into the router. Find and edit the .yaml file from the command line.

1 Like

Sorry for not being specific enough.

  1. My old router was at and I installed AGH on the thin client running OpenWRT at
  2. Once I decommissioned the old router and changed the thin client with OpenWRT to, I can no longer access AGH GUI.

I can SSH into the router but I can't find .yaml file. Where is it located?

Four possible suggestions; there are others:
find / -iname *.yaml
find / | grep -i yaml
find / -iname adguard*
find / | grep -i adguard

Something else to consider: is AGH even on the router any more? Did you upgrade the installation of OpenWRT on the router at any point, maybe as part of repurposing it as the main router? If so, did AGH survive the upgrade? One possibility is that you can't get to the AGH GUI because it's no longer present/running.

Check the output of ps to see if the AGH process is running. If it is, then you know the application binary is somewhere in the filesystem, along with the associated config file(s).

Check the output of netstat -lnp to see which processes are listening for connections. If AGH appears in the list, you can see which port(s) it's using.


Thanks! Found the Midnight Commander in the software menu and it makes things much easier. yaml file was under /opt/AdGuardHome/

I was able to access GUI and it now seems that AGH is running and there are some stats showing about blocked queries, but some websites don't load at all. I am assuming that DNS is not resolving correctly for them.

Something isn't working right. What should I check?

Another possibility is that DNS is resolving correctly, and AGH is intercepting and blocking them as designed. The purpose of AGH is to block traffic, after all.

One way to test whether AGH is the culprit is to remove AGH from the equation. Temporarily stop it and go back to using OpenWRT's native dnsmasq for DNS. See if the symptoms persist. If they do, AGH is probably not the culprit. If they don't, AGH might well be the culprit.

Also remember that DNS is only one element of the complex series of communications needed for a website to work. DNS can be working perfectly and something else can break a website's operation.

1 Like

By reversing all steps I made during AGH install, all websites now work fine.

I still would like to use AGH. I briefly owned a Brume router and AGH was literally a one click install (well, maybe 2 if you include custom blacklists) and it worked wonders for all my browsers. Can't believe it's so complicated while still using OpenWRT.

When reading about it, I came across luci-app-adguardhome. It's not showing in available software list. How do I install it? (assuming it would make things easier)

It does not appear to be in the OpenWRT repository, which makes sense as AGH itself isn't. It looks as if you'd either have to write your own package, or rely on some random package found somewhere on the Internet and hope that it a) works, and b) isn't malicious.

Is reinstalling AGH from scratch an option for you? How important is it to preserve the current configuration?


From scratch implies deleting it altogether so the install wizard could be used again?

I can still access the AGH settings from port 8080.

Presumably. I've never used AGH so I can't speak from direct experience about installing or reinstalling it.

The reason I asked is that, if there's some existing configuration which might be getting in the way without you realising it, starting from scratch might help you work around the problem. Something I can speak about from direct experience is forgetting - or not knowing in the first place - every bit of configuration so I sometimes get lost when trying to troubleshoot.

After many trials, I stopped using AGH because it doesn't do anything for IPv6.

I tried a Docker container on my Windows 10 PC using pi-hole. Pi-hole can't display client IPs via a docker container using Winows.

I tried AGH on the Windows laptop and liked it until.... I realized it did nothing for IPv6 and most of my Android devices were circumventing it by default.

I bought a Raspberry Pi Zero W and installed Pi Hole. Done.

I was quite happy with Brume. I could run Wireguard and AGH at the same time, super simple config. Using oisd blacklist I was getting very few ads and tons of trackers were blocked, even without your choice of browser plugins.

And setup... literally, you could count clicks necessary to set everything up on your one hand. But it ran crazy hot so I returned it while I still could.

One thing I didn't like is that the advanced setup was behind another login and just not handy to use and adjust.

For those that don't know, Brume uses OpenWRT, so I just don't know why it could be made so simple in Brume and so difficult in plain OpenWRT. My HP thin client uses much better CPU and has more RAM than Brume and runs much cooler so to me it was a way to go, at least on paper.

My ISP is not using IPv6, so that is not an issue for me. I want to give it another try.