Adding USB port to D-Link DIR-878 A1

If somebody is interested in adding a USB port to this router.
I used a 78M05 stabilizer as a power supply with 2x10uF capacitors for output voltage filtration. This is setup is limiting the USB max output current to something like 100-200mA but it is still usable for a flash drive. I also add a thermal pad to connect it to the heatsink. For higher currents, you will need a step-down converter like MINI360 or MP1584 or ...
On D+ and D- connection I add 2x0.5 ohm resistors (I just guess and put there some small value) and solder joints.
The connector is standard 'flag'-style USB Type-A, for connecting its shield to groud I used 7R5 resistor (didn't have smaller)

1 Like

But some parts are missing

I was not reconstructing the original power supply, this is an alternative solution (minimal setup) that works.

I'm using standard OpenWrt release 21.02.1 firmware with:

opkg update && opkg install block-mount e2fsprogs kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb3

My Samsung FIT 128GB flash drive benchmark:

hdparm -Tt /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:
 Timing cached reads:   276 MB in  2.01 seconds = 137.27 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  86 MB in  3.01 seconds =  28.58 MB/sec

Yes you have add some components !!!

You can add kmod-usb2 , blkid , ntfs-3g , block-mount ,kmod-usb-storage-uas , kmod-usb-priinter, kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-extras , luci-app- ksmbd ( replacement for samba4 using big memory )

Possible to add sane for scanner ...

FYI Schematics for it's big brother DIR-3060

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/KA2IR3060A1/4241783

Hi, thanks I saw several others but didn't find this one. So here we have for USB 2.0 header D+ and D- 10 ohms resistors, and for USB 3.0 header are 0 ohms. There is no RLC filter on D+- (solder joint) so probably it's a bit different schema than DIR-878, R129 and R130 are on DDR3, C116 is on flash. The shield resistor is 0 ohms and the shield capacity is 1nF.
If I will have time I will try to add USB 3.0 :slight_smile: