Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi Router AX6S"/"Xiaomi Router AX3200"

Thanks, is this mtk drive included in the latest 22.03 or do I need to compile it?

I have done the flash following the image in wiki, but I notice my wifi was better before with the stock

you can clone my repo on github and compile it. at the same time an old 22.03.2 is for download. maybe tomorrow i'll update different versions of 22.03.3 of the device.

2 Likes

Sorry, I forgot to mention that (I suspect) that my AX3200 is bricked as mentioned in a previous post (I will update my post)
As mentioned in that post I already tried with TinyPXE and factory bin file, but the boot process doesn't even react.

How can I safe restore the stock firmware after have flash openwrt?

Can you compile a clean vanilla image for 23.03.3? The previous version of your image has some packages installed.

I dont want bother you, I tried but I got stuck in menuconfig due MANY options stuffs and configs... Im afraid to do something wrong or dangerous... so I got stuck in this part

1. select luci app mtwifi,m7622 and mt_wifi in kernel module, and configure the radios

Can I load this config and if so, what else need to be changed/added in order to compile the image containg your changes (after step 6)?

What Im doing is:

• load the config
  • target profile -> xiaomi ax6s
  • luci -> applications -> luci-app-mtwifi (I dont know if should be <M> or <*>)
  • kernel modules -> wireless drivers -> mt_wifi is already selected with <M> also there is some mt7622 stuff there (but I dont see m7622), some with <*> others <M> idk if need to be touched or removed?

What to do for "configure the radios"

all the M should be y, build into.
leave all default if you are worry about settings
i ll see if i can build something tomorrow
also in extra packages select l1profile

1 Like

Ok, gonna try again. Dont need to remove/uncheck any other wireless driver, right?

uncheck all mt76 drivers, hostapd and wpad if you want

1 Like

Anyone got any ideas?

I've just nuked my openwrt build environment and built it up from scratch to make sure there isn't anything left from building 22.03.02. Then I checked out compiled 22.03.03, but flashing the resulting image still resulted in version number 22.03.02 displayed in luci, with kernel version 5.10.161...

Edit: Ok, as a last resort I flashed the official 22.03.03 image from openwrt.org, but version still stayed 22.03.02. Could something have gone wrong during the conversion from stock FW?

Im having issue with make world and Im not beeing able to fix, even with V=s the message is very meanless to me.

toplevel.mk:231: world] Error 2

I will keep trying, but Im not confident I can - and if I can Im not sure it will work haha -
I have built images before but just using the ImageBuilder...

This maybe is leaving the scope of the thread so I dont want bother anymore with this issues.

even though I was busy, you intrigued me and I gave it a try. it compiled well.

the firmware is on repo

1 Like

I dont know what to say. Really thank you!!

I tried many times compile here but I just got always the same error.

Flashed your firmware reseting all the settings and I can achieve 500mb down 300mb with wireless!! When I was getting 140mb/10mb with the other firmware*.

Much appreciate for the work!

how the device is connected to main router?

AX3200 is connected in access point mode (dhcp client) to the main router via cable

so dumb ap? non wan? if so you cannot get more than that speed

1 Like

Yes, just dumb ap for now. But well Im already pretty happy hahaha

For now its fine, I will do more tests later and set as main router in bridge mode during weekend maybe.

no, you do not need test, that's all.
it's hard to explain, it's about the feature of drivers.
this version of drivers are for dumb ap, not the best for routing, wifi wwan!

1 Like

Depends on what kind o clients you have around, I've hit 800+ Mbps using the fat 160mhz ax channel, all stock openwrt drivers via iperf3 test.
My wan speed is almost saturated while doing speedtest under ideal conditions on ax. No use for all of that speed on single endpoint but it's shure nice to see.

that is a guess