Adding OpenWrt support for Aruba AP175

The Aruba AP175 is a heavy outdoor version of the Aruba AP-105, with much higher-power radios, both of which are dual band.

The port is very nearly done due to the extent of the similarity with the AP-105. The device will need a U-boot replacement, but the SOIC16 is immediately available, clippable and flashable after opening the 4 corner screws and removing the lid.

Internal photos: https://fccid.io/Q9DAP175/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-1374703

Very similar to the AP105 in terms of hardware used:

• Atheros AR7161 CPU
  • 128MiB RAM
  • Boots using the same U-boot partitioning (and @riptidewave93's / @Chunkeey's u-boot port works.)

Tasks

• [ ] U-boot support
    • [x] Base boot / memory initialization
    • [ ] Document compilation process
      • Started, here.
      • [ ] Supply an x86_64 Dockerfile for this.
    • [ ] MII support to initialize IP1001-LF ICPLUS PHY
      • [ ] Attach documentation so far of stock MII configuration
  • [ ] Flashing support
  • [ ] OpenWrt support
    • [ ] Device tree
      • [ ] MDIO setup for ICPLUS PHY
      • [ ] LVT125Q (spec sheet) -- is this a GPIO expander or a TTL voltage regulator?
2 Likes

@hurricos
It appears they used MMCX connectors on this model for the WiFi cards ?

Also i suggest "inserting" the sysupgrade image into the bin flash file (save you the step todo sysupgrade later)

It appears they used MMCX connectors on this model for the WiFi cards ?

Correct, two pairs of them; the cards are the well-known DNMA-H92 (though it's too bad the AREDN crowd refuses to move to ath79).

Also i suggest "inserting" the sysupgrade image into the bin flash file (save you the step todo sysupgrade later)

I'd prefer to stick with the standard initramfs-to-sysupgrade procedure ...

Hey @markbirss -- I understand what you mean now! I don't know how I misread your initial comment. Since we're already overwriting flash, ...

I've been loading data into u-boot over S-record; your idea works much better.

I'll put up a tree soon as I work on this.