Adding 120 Optional Channels to 2.4GHz and 5GHz Networks When Building OpenWrt

Hello,

I am working on building a custom version of OpenWrt and would like to add 120 optional channels to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Could you provide guidance on how to achieve this?

Details:

Objectives:

Expand the available channels for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks to include 120 optional channels.
Ensure compliance with international WiFi standards.
Environment:

Device: GiGA WiFi Wave 2 KM08-708H
Architecture: MediaTek MT7621AT (880MHz, Dual-Core)
Current OpenWrt Version: OpenWrt 23.05.3 r23809-234f1a2efa / LuCI openwrt-23.05 branch git-24.073.29889-cd7e519
Technical Details:

Which configuration files need to be modified to achieve this goal?
What specific values should be changed in the channel settings?
Are there any legal or regulatory considerations to be aware of when adding these channels?
Steps Taken So Far:

Downloaded the source code from https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git
Made some modifications to mt7621_raisecom_msg1500-x-00.dts
Haven't been successful in enabling the additional channels correctly.
Expected Results:

Enable 120 optional channels for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks.
Improve wireless network performance and increase flexibility in high-interference environments.
Thank you in advance for any assistance or guidance you can provide. If there are any documents or resources that could help me achieve this goal, please point me to them.

Best regards,
abozed

This way, your question is organized and clear, making it easier for others to understand your request and provide appropriate assistance.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/regulatory/wireless-regdb

3 Likes

How exactly do you plan to add wireless channels and what do you expect to be able to do with these new channels? They're all predefined based on the industry standards and worldwide government regulations.

You can't just 'add' new channels for a lot of reasons (hardware, regulatory, compatibility with all other wifi devices, etc.). For example, depending on your location, you'll have between 11 and 14 channels for 2.4GHz operation. Adding 120 channels would not be possible, and it's not clear how this would be done in a way that would be physically compatible, legal, and useful.

Can you elaborate?

6 Likes

what is 120 Optional Channels ?
120 is not available where I am on 5Ghz but it's not allowed so that ok
but i do think that the 20Mhz channels 68 and 91 should be added

Talk to the regulatory agency in your country/region. This is not something that can just be developed by developers of a project like OpenWrt. It needs to be allowed by law first. Besides, adding channels on the AP wouldn't suddenly make them available to other devices -- wifi devices from all manufacturers (even with alternative firmware) must still follow the local regulations... so even if someone were to enable the channels on one firmware, it wouldn't have any use or value. Imagine building a modern mobile phone without any cellular towers in existance.

they are allowed in most regions just not implemented in the wifi driver
I admit that most devices may not work ATM but you have to start somewhere

Yes, 68 is allowed in most areas (although DFS in most places). But 91 is not. 20MHz channels are even... 92 is specifically not allowed, so why would 91 be allowed?

sorry it was a type-o it was 68 & 96
i do use 116 witch is only 20Mhz to me
also 176 was the same but they now allow 176 = 173 & 177 in australia

lonely 20MHz channels are not visualised in 5GHz user interfaces, but still reachable via config files and own proper country code permitting them (in case of DFS - radio device supporting DFS and not detecting interfering signal in 30-120s)

I did try to manually add to the config file
but it just not listed in the wifi driver's tables

You can submit a PR, provided you can test particular channel functionality in your area. Likely client device does not have then since ac spec requires all devices to support 40MHz and who would sell half-brain wifi to unsuspecting customers.

I did look into it but it's way out of my ability
it's not just adding an entry in a table
there are lots of tables for all the diffident bandwidth usages etc
there may not be calibration table entry's for all I know

@Lucky1 -- you don't appear to be the OP, though, correct?

I don't know what OP stands for ?

original poster.

thanks @frollic
not i'm not the OP i was just asking what "120 Optional Channels" was
as it makes not sence with 2.4G and 5G