Added hardware support. What's next?

I recently added hardware support for the TPLink TL-MR3020v3. The device boots, wifi works and I can SSH into it. PR was accepted, and changes were added to the master branch by the OpenWrt developers. Excellent. Now what though?

I understand that if I want the hardware to be supported in the openwrt-18.06 branch, that I either have to ask the OpenWrt developers to backport it (assuming it applies cleanly on top of openwrt-18.06), or if that fails, open a PR against the openwrt-18.06 branch.

My question is this: Should a certain set of requirements be met first before I ask for the above / open a PR? For example: Should the hardware features work in the same way as the original manufacturer hardware? As in, this hardware has a slider switch. Should it do the same in OpenWrt as it does on manufacturer firmware?

Any help appreciated.

On the switch, rather than the OEM function, I'd prefer it to be "enable 32 MB flash and 128 MB RAM" :wink:

Kidding aside, since I believe there have been earlier versions of the TL-MR3020 supported in both code and on the wiki and forums, my suggestion is that the switch function should be consistent with the earlier versions.

You could ask on the openwrt-devel mailing list how to proceed.

It is unlikely that a new device will be added to an existing stable branch. A new release is planned for Jan '19. I see no reason why it won't be included there.