Add support for Xiaomi AX1800 Wifi 6 router

Close, about a meter away.

Measured 1.1 gbps at about the same distance with my Ax3600 so not much of a difference obviously.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I've got ssh acces on 1.0.378 and played around with /etc/config/wireless and also with
nvram set CountryCode=EU but as previously posted this breaks up app usage.
I want to respect Italy EMF limits ( 100 mW on 2,4 and 200 on 5 Ghz) but did not find a way to obtain this.
Do you know how to?
Googling i've also tried

uci set wireless.wl0.txpower=20

but command returns bad parameters error
i've checked and in /etc/config/wireless that parameter is set as char 'auto'

so didn't find a way to get this working

any idea?
ty have a nice day

Will there ever be support to flash the AX1800 with a real version of OpenWrt and not this strange crippled build that comes with the router?

Hi, if you need keep app functionalities you only can use CN for Country Code but you can try changing Wifi Code to apply country restrictions and It needs to be apply to both wifi interfaces, 5 and 2,4Ghz.

First keep CN as Country Code

nvram set CountryCode=CN
nvram commit

Second change Wifi Code for both interfaces, if IT does not match you need to use another country with similar restrictions.

uci set wireless.wifi0.country='IT'
uci commit wireless.wifi0.country

uci set wireless.wifi1.country='IT'
uci commit wireless.wifi1.country

Them check the txpower for both interfaces

iwinfo wl0 txpowerlist
Iwinfo wl1 txpowerlist

Additionaly you can change regional settings

iw reg set IT

Please give us feedback

2 Likes

Hi,
thank's for your reply
i did some tests but they did not end well.
I managed to have 5ghz at 23db which if fine but 2,4 stays always at max power which is 5 times higher than what i'm allowed to do by laws.
I keepd searching around and find this reply in AX3600 thread from @pbaclawski
if the AX1800 is in the same situation i don't know if there can be a fix or workaround

Now i did a factory reset to keep back all clean and see if i'll be more lucky

If you don't need to use all funtionalities from the app you can change CountryCode, wifi Code and regio,n from reg set, together getting more limitations. But at first you can try changing only wifi Code to ES (Spain) in both wifi radios to know if the issue with 2,4 remains.

Country Code can be changed to EU, HK, KR and CN, but internally looks like US os allowed todo.

Ty for your help
changing wifi code lead to same problem; lowering power tx in web gui i reached 25dbm (316mW) for 2.4ghz but my target is 20.
Sadly seems i cannot use this router atm. at least on 2.4 Ghz

Gone Global with a new form factor??

https://www.mi.com/global/mi-aiot-router-ax1800

I have it. Its OK i guess but some settings are so stupid like you need to install app on your mobile phone and create mi account to get full settings or create guest wifi network.
TP-link is best i think no such stupid restrictions and in AP mode in this mi ax1800 you cant change IP address. You need to reset to change to another country and after changing wifi name or password, you need to reboot every time.

Isn't the "new form factor" actually the redmi ax5? ... which said to be pretty much similar inside to the "old form factor" ax1800 (which I own).
@tomone Also based on what should it be global version?

I'm waiting for the LEDE support too, since my ax1800 has frequent and intermittent pppoe disconnects, maybe an upgrade to 19.07.5 from stock 18.06 could make miracles.

Hi there,
Yeah it seems the redmi ax5 ..from what i read around they share the same hardware specs

Anyway not a pro here i asked it because of the url site www.mi.com/global/mi-aiot-router-ax1800
It associates global and ax1800 but then show 'another' device

mine was actually a question not a statement

Hi man, check this link to know if changing "iw reg set" to any listed country you can get the tx limitations you need.

or limiting the tx power for the 2,4Ghz radio adapter with command

iw dev wl1 set txpower fixed 20mBm
or
iwconfig wl1 txpower 20

1 Like

Hei ty :smiley:
Gonna try and let you know.

One question: after those changes does a reboot is needed?
is

/etc/init.d/network reload

enough?

Hi again, this command works perfect, iwconfig wl"x" txpower 20 (x = 0 for 5Ghz and 1 for 2,4Ghz), i have applied on my router and the Txpower is limited to 20dBm, you can check it using iwinfo wl"x" txpowerlist, but i don´t know if the changes remains after a reboot. could you try and give us feed back, please.

1 Like

Thank you Makunan the command works
but no, a reboot resets the powers back and lost also 'iw reg set IT' (going back to global)

the only commands that survives are wireless.wifi[x].country

so it seems that uci commands survive to a reboot the iw ones, no.

I have my routers with china in country Code, wifi Code and reg set to global, changing only the TX power It Will be down yo 20dbm.

You can keep reg set to global, change country Code to EU, remember do nvram commit, change wifi Code to IT for both wifi radios, UCI commit, and change TX power with iw command, maybe you need to do a iw commit too.

Please, let me check the right commit commands for all options

Just out of curiosity, can this router go up to 30dbm for 2.4/5 GHz?

26 for 5Ghz, 28 for 2.4

Ok, thanks!