Add OpenWrt support for Xiaomi "Redmi AX6000"

I received exactly the same message after sysupgrade and can do nothing to recover and communicate with the router.
@jav, what was wrong in the process then resulting that message?
Rebooting and resetting did not help either, any suggestions?

Miwifi repair tool did not work? Link and how-to is a few messages up. Got me out of trouble at many occasions already :slight_smile:

U need flash to OEM firmware to get out bootloop by using TFTP boot, assume you are still using oem u-boot.

you might back read from here.

If you did end up with an open U-Boot, I saw output immediately when I connected my UART<->USB dongle and opened putty.

All settings were standard with baud 115200 if I remember correctly. Referring to the image back when I attempted the repair this is what the UART pins need to connect to

I physically opened the router backlid for easier access but then just held the jumper cables for the UART connection by hand (no solder).

I think if you have a copy of the mi WiFi recovery tool, it's probably easier to just redo the process from the recovered image :slight_smile:

1 Like

That's what I did to get mine to play again, just remember to not connect the vcc line!

Once connected I got the boot menu, was able to set an IP locally, then scp the image across, flash it and get going again.

2 Likes

Thanks, regarding the Mi tool, I followed several guides for the recovery tool, I keep getting an error message which I can't read, or the app crashes, any hint?

For the initial configuration, in which you need to navigate through the OEM webpage, I just used Google app for online translation (pointing the camera at the computer screen).

Regarding the problem, looks like something failed in the flash process. Having an UART connection, you can just retry:

• Select Load Image in the u-boot
  • Set start address to 0x48000000, then set TFTP parameters to load the initramfs-kernel.bin.
  • Start the loaded kernel, then perform sysupgrade on OpenWrt.

Just make sure to use the stock layout version of both the initramfs and sysupgrade images.

1 Like

This is a photo of the board, are those the pins circled red?
So I need to connect RX, TX, GND but not VCC?
Thanks

1 Like

fdt doesn't fit to memory. does it due different uboot on your device, I don't know.
I believe that, last automatically builded sysupgrade images are became bigger and image doesn't fit the memory somehow. You better to try with "old and good" openwrt images that known to work...

DO NOT INSTALL STOCK LAYOUT IMAGES MADE AFTER THIS COMMIT

4 Likes

Thats bad. Better to remove it from download sections.

Does anyone have older stock fw? Can put here a link for temporarily to help who suffer bootloop.
found some images here ( https://github.com/Chikage0o0/Redmi-AX6000-Openwrt/releases )
@hardc0der

Ok, here is the problem, hopefully, there is a creative idea:
In download/reset mode (but no in normal mode), the router for some reason is acquiring DHCP address.
I manage to install a DHCP server, so the router gets 192.168.31.1.
The PC is configured by the tool to 192.168.31.100.
Lights are flashing orange every 30 seconds or so, but there is no download at all, like in the attached screenshot.
Any hints? Thanks

Just to be clear this bug hits: Xiaomi Redmi Router AX6000 (stock layout)
And does NOT hit: Xiaomi Redmi Router AX6000 (OpenWrt U-Boot layout)

Correct?

1 Like

Correct

(10 chars)

1 Like

I think you should give power to router with pressing reset button for 8 secconds. At least that is what I read on some miwifirepair thread... (I don't use miwifirepair before.)

1 Like

On the computer side: open the miwifi repair tool in Windows, then select the flash package and choose the network card connected to the router

Router side: first disconnect the power to the router, then press and hold the reset button next to the mesh button, then power up the router until the repairer on the computer has a response, then release the reset button, after the progress bar on the computer side is finished, wait for 1 minute, power down the router and then power up, at this time should be back to the miwifi system.

3 Likes

look like my device was bricked after below command. it said error and disconnected immediately. now the device keep booting. Anyone have suggest what to debrick it?

sysupgrade -n /tmp/squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

It's safe to use this images to flash the router for the first time? Received mine today, wanna install Openwrt but I want to avoid the bootloop of current snapshot

1 Like

I don't know. You can wait until release comes. Or image from verified source. I just spoted on web.

2 Likes