Adblock support thread

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble controlling adblock (suspending, resuming, enabling, disabling), from both CLI and luci.
I'm using a pretty fresh install of OpenWrt 21.02.3 (I didn't upgrade, I installed clean). Adblock 4.1.3.

I wasn't able to suspend by clicking "suspend" in luci or /etc/init.d/adblock suspend on the CLI. Eventually service adblock suspend seemed to have suspended it.

Now I can't start it again. Whether I use /etc/inti.d/adblock enable, /etc/inti.d/adblock start, /etc/inti.d/adblock restart, service adblock enable, service adblock start, service adblock restart, nothing seems to change the status.

Luci shows the status as disabled, but there's no enable button, just suspend, reload, restart.
service shows the line /etc/init.d/adblock *enabled* stopped
service adblock status shows + adblock_status : *disabled*
which to me seems conflicting.

I thought it might have been working by rebooting the router, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

I'm probably doing something dumb, but I don't know what it is!

|Model|Linksys WRT3200ACM|
|Architecture|ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)|
|Target Platform|mvebu/cortexa9|
|Firmware Version|OpenWrt 21.02.3 r16554-1d4dea6d4f / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-22.213.35964-87836ca|
|Kernel Version|5.4.188|

Please use the "Preformatted text </>" button for logs, scripts, configs and general console output.
grafik

Post the output of
uci show adblock

Just enable the adblock service in LuCI under System/Startup.

29 MByte free RAM is quite tight. Put at least your backup and report dir to your sdcard to save valuable RAM.

Just enable the adblock service in LuCI under System/Startup.

On this screen AFAICT it's already enabled:

But on the Services > Adblock pages it says disabled (and I can't see any way to enable/start it).

Is it me that's confused, or is it my router that's confused? :sweat_smile:

root@OpenWrt:~# uci show adblock
adblock.global=adblock
adblock.global.adb_debug='0'
adblock.global.adb_safesearch='0'
adblock.global.adb_dnsfilereset='0'
adblock.global.adb_mail='0'
adblock.global.adb_report='0'
adblock.global.adb_backup='1'
adblock.global.adb_maxqueue='4'
adblock.global.adb_dns='dnsmasq'
adblock.global.adb_fetchutil='uclient-fetch'
adblock.global.adb_forcedns='1'
adblock.global.adb_zonelist='lan'
adblock.global.adb_sources='adaway' 'adguard' 'android_tracking' 'anti_ad' 'disconnect' 'yoyo'
adblock.global.adb_enabled='0'
uci set adblock.global.adb_enabled=‘1’
uci commit adblock
/etc/init.d/adblock restart

also

option adb_trigger 'wwan'
option adb_repiface 'br-lan'

or your wan interface for adb_trigger

please just look a little further down to the settings section, e.g.

Check the "Enabled" checkbox on the General settings tab and hit Save & Apply.

2 questions

Is reload the action I want to select? I only want to refresh my adblock lists once a week

For the day value, it can be 0-6. Does 0 = Monday and 7 = Sunday?

Hi everyone. I'm having some issues with AdBlock while using DNS HTTPS Proxy. I feel like it's not working all that well.
I get the following results on these tests:
https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html - I get 10% Blocked Hosts
https://adblock-tester.com - I get 36 points out of 100

On adblock, I checked Force Local DNS on LAN and Force Port: 5353 which is the DNS HTTPS Proxy port.

What am I missing here? Which results should I normally get on those tests?
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Depends solely on your blocklist selection, e.g. on your first link I receive 100% on the second link I receive 83%. The latter one includes page element tests (e.g. gif image tests) which can't be fulfilled by dns based blocking tools.

1 Like

Yep, "reload" is the correct action. 0 means Sunday, 6 is Saturday.

1 Like

is it a necessary action, are there any benefits?

BUG Report:
After upgrading from Openwrt 21.02.3 to 22.03.0, Adblock 4.1.4 consistently gives an error and stops working after router (re)boot or after an /etc/init.d/adblock restart. The DNS backend is Unbound which is properly working.

1. logread -e adblock shows:
    (...) user.info adblock-4.1.4[5690]: adblock instance started ::: action: start, priority: 0, pid: 5690
    (...) user.err adblock-4.1.4[5690]: dns backend restart with adblock blocklist failed

2. /etc/init.d/adblock status shows:

+ adblock_status  : error
  + adblock_version : 4.1.4
  + blocked_domains : 0
  + active_sources  : adaway, adguard, disconnect, smarttv_tracking, yoyo
  + dns_backend     : unbound (-), /var/lib/unbound
  + run_utils       : download: /bin/uclient-fetch, sort: /usr/libexec/sort-coreutils, awk: /bin/busybox
  + run_ifaces      : trigger: wan, report: -
  + run_directories : base: /tmp, backup: /etc/adblock, report: /tmp/adblock-Report, jail: /tmp
  + run_flags       : backup: ✔, flush: ✘, force: ✘, search: ✘, report: ✘, mail: ✘, jail: ✘
  + last_run        : reload, 1m 1s, 250/173/157, 2022-09-19T20:00:28+01:00
  + system          : Xiaomi Mi Router 3G, OpenWrt 22.03.0 r19685-512e76967f
  1. ubus call system board shows:
	"kernel": "5.10.138",
	"hostname": "OpenWrt",
	"system": "MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3",
	"model": "Xiaomi Mi Router 3G",
	"board_name": "xiaomi,mi-router-3g",
	"rootfs_type": "squashfs",
	"release": {
		"distribution": "OpenWrt",
		"version": "22.03.0",
		"revision": "r19685-512e76967f",
		"target": "ramips/mt7621",
		"description": "OpenWrt 22.03.0 r19685-512e76967f"
	}
}```

strange, for me is working perfect with unbound and odhcpd, the only thing i'm worry is that unbound is eating my ram, but that is offtopic.

also

i'm on 22.03.0 too and my version is 4.1.3

Strange, works for me with unbound. Please enable debug logging in adblock, remove your adblock backup files and do a full restart. Send the full adblock- and unbound-related logs - thanks.

1 Like

I had "example.com" on the local adblock blacklist. Removing it seems to have solved the problem.
I wonder why the "example.com" behavior changed from Adblock v.4.1.3 to v.4.1.4. Is it a bug, or is it "by design" ?

Well, that's expected if you block the standard dns lookup domain (for whatever reason). You could change the lookup domain (adb_lookupdomain) or disable this check at all (set the parameter to false ... also described in the readme (see first post).

Ok. I did set adblock.global.adb_lookupdomain='one.one.one.one' and re-added example.com to my adblock blacklist. All seems to be working well again.
Thank you.

Thanks a lot for this adblock app. I've set my scheduled actions perfectly now. I've moved to this adblock on openwrt from having 2 pi-holes and so far so good!

1 Like