Adblock support thread

Sorry, which option did you mean/miss?

adblock list duplicate sort option ? was called "force duplicate sort" i think

I can't remember such option, but the sort step is mandatory now.

alright thanks

Hi,
I am using the openwrt (linksys wrt1200ac) router as an AP (providing WIFI), connected from lan1 to my ISP router and its not serving at a DHCP server, my ISP router is providing the DHCP .
I am a nobble (lawyer actually) so i couldn't understand how should i set up my router to get adblock working . i am guessing that all my DNS queries are solved by the ISP router and thus no blocking by adblock .
Is there a tutorial to setup adblock in this AP setup ? or should i resort to change the AP setup to some other setup .
Any help would be great. thanks
(and the link Using DNS without using DHCP link is broken. so i timemachined it . Here is webarchive link http://web.archive.org/web/20170424085856/https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/dns_configuration).

Both possible strategies/solutions are discussed here Adblock not working - #5 by PolynomialDivision and here Adblock not working - #7 by lleachii ... and you've ask for the latter one.

Hi! How do I revert to the previous behaviour of not keeping .gz backups of block lists in /tmp? I don't see any option for it, and setting adb_backupdir to /dev/null prevents adblock from starting. Thanks!

You can't, backups are mandatory since release 3.8.x

1 Like

Why is that so?

It's already bad enough to having to load the block lists for each DNS forwarder instance (dnsmasq, in my case), why should it also be mandatory to keep around 1 MiB of incompressible data in /tmp? These are embedded systems and RAM is precious, I believe the user should at least be given the option…

Backups make adblock fault tolerant, speed up the start (if the backups are stored on a USB stick, for example) and enable the "DNS File Reset", e.g.:

• add support for 'DNS File Reset', where the final DNS blockfile will be purged after DNS backend loading (save storage space). A small background service will be started to trace/handle dns backend reloads/restarts

Sure, I'm well aware of the DNS file reset option (which I've always enabled). Still, to store backups on a USB stick, the router needs to have USB support. I believe it's quite legitimate for users to find fault tolerance and startup speed less critical than RAM occupancy.

Even then backups are useful, see the exemplary ram consumption of the following scenarios:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                    60.6M      1.5M     59.1M   2% /tmp (old behaviour)
tmpfs                    60.6M    112.0K     60.5M   0% /tmp (with dns file reset and backups on usb stick)
tmpfs                    60.6M    912.0K     59.7M   1% /tmp (with dns file reset and backups on /tmp)

Well, if nobody complained yet, I guess it's fine (my routers have 128 MiB and 2 GiB of RAM, I personally don't care).
It would be really nice, though, being able to choose on which DNS forwarder instances (if more than one) to enable ad blocking (defaulting to all, to keep the current behaviour). So, if you had something like this on /etc/config/adblock…

config adblock 'global'
	[…]
	option adb_dns 'dnsmasq'
	list instance 'instance1'
	[…]

… it would result in something like this in /etc/config/dhcp…

config dnsmasq 'instance1'
	[…]
	option serversfile '/tmp/adb_list.overall'

config dnsmasq 'instance2'
	[…]

… how about it? :wink:

That's already implemented, simply set 'adb_dnsinstance' accordingly ... starting with '0' for the first instance.

Oh, that option isn't documented!

I believe it's easier on the user to be able to choose instances by name, instead of numeric value. For instance (hah!), how do you handle DHCP-only instances mixed with DNS/DHCP and/or DNS-only?

Good morning,

Not sure whether this is the right place for this question, so feel free to send me elsewhere.

I've been running Adblock for a while now, with no issues. In the last couple of months, I've been unable to download apps from the Google Play store, and have had trouble adding Nest devices to my account. Turning off Adblock resolves things.

It seems clear that one of the lists I'm using is causing these failures. Has anybody experienced similarly and been able to track-down the culprit. Alternatively, is there any consensus on the best lists to use or any domains to whitelist?

Many thanks

Put the following domains in your whitelist:

gvt1.com
gvt2.com
2 Likes

super! Thank you very much. I shall let you know how I get on.

[EDIT]: looks like that's done the trick. I'm not sure whether it'll solve the 'cannot add Nest products to home' problem, but I almost never have to do that.