Access DumbAP when main AP goes down

try this

config device
	option name 'br-lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	list ports 'wlan0'

add wlan0 at br-lan

This is not how wireless networks should be added to the bridge. Setting up a bridge in general happens in the /etc/config/network file -- this file should not include wifi related declarations. Attaching a radio/wifi SSID to a network happens in the /etc/config/wireless file

not always take a look at mtk

did you check to see if the OP is using an mtk device?

yes it's not, but add a line to the bridge just for try is not the end of the world

but it won't fix the OP's issue... Seems like a waste of time to me, but sure, the OP can try it.

(unless I am mistaken, and I'll admit to it if that is the case... I'm honest when I've gotten it wrong)

A regular STA cannot be in a bridge. It needs to be its own network e.g. wwan and route to it. A STA(WDS) can be in a bridge, but that requires WDS mode supported on its AP. Almost always that requires OpenWrt running on the AP, as WDS implementations vary between vendors.

Relayd requires the upstream network to provide DHCP for the LAN. If the upstream network is lost, there will be an apparent lack of connectivity since the PC being used will not get a DHCP IP. This can be worked around by setting the PC to a static IP.

For the use case of a travel router, a routed client is preferable to what you're trying to do here. Relayd introduces a lot of complications just to make the LAN devices appear to be part of the upstream network. But if you don't own the upstream network you don't want to use it beyond Internet access. You actually don't want others upstream to access your LAN. The direct routed client does that by putting the firewall in between.

This cannot be worked around by setting the PC to a static IP in this case, I have tried. I think this is the right idea though but cannot figure out how to create a new management interface that makes this possible. I don't care if all the ethernet lan ports are used for management. I just want a way to test things out without having to use TFTP when they don't work and the wireless goes down.

I only use this device as a wireless repeater and I do have control of the upstream router. However I want to install a VPN server on it as well and have been having issues with needing to reset things when that doesn't work as expected. Again I don't need wired for regular use and I will not be traveling with the device so if I can setup the wireless repeater to be wireless only with relayd so the local devices are on the same subnet and have the lan ports available for management only that would be great. I can forward the needed ports for the VPN and figure that out later.

The 'travelmate' package you referenced earlier would be great except it doesn't allow me to create a wireless network with the same subnet as the AP, I have numerous devices connected to both routers and want them all on the same subnet.

As far as WPA the upstream AP is Broadcom running DD-WRT and the repeater is running OpenWrt and is a MediaTek device. My understanding is that WDS mode will not work between these vendors and I have not been successful when I have attempted to setup WDS mode with these two devices.

Anyways thanks for your input, hopefully my use case is more clear now.

try this

config device
option name 'br-lan'
option type 'bridge'
list ports 'wlan0'

add wlan0 at br-lan

What will this do?

btw I'm using wlan1 as the link to the AP router and connecting to the repeater router with wlan0.

Can't I just have a DHCP server for the lan ports on a separate interface and use them for the management interface?

I don't really need to have the lan ports be part of the relayd subnet, I'm just using the wireless. Or maybe I'm missing something.

It is an mtk device.

live it alone, i m talking about mtk wifi drivers.

so try add the other wlan

Yes that is what @psherman suggested, placing an independent "management" network on one of the LAN ports.

I followed those steps and lost all access…

What effect will that have?

not sure wath ou asking now.
i m saying try to add the radio that you use just as ap at the br-lan, not the one that you use as repeter

What effect will "try add the other wlan" have? It seems like you are saying to add wlan0 to the bridge network config since I'm connecting to the other router with wlan1 and broadcasting on wlan0.

Will this let me have access to the repeater router when my primary router goes down?

Anyways tried this and turned off WiFi from primary AP. Maintained ability to access briefly (a few minutes) but then lost connection. Repeater router still broadcasts network and I can connect but can’t access luci interface or SSH even if I have the computer set to manual IP address.

config interface 'repeater_bridge'
option proto 'relay'
list network 'lan'
list network 'wwan'
option ipaddr '192.168.2.2'     try to remove this option address

this option ipaddr although in the examples openwrt is indicated, I think it is an error

config interface 'repeater_bridge'
option proto 'relay'
list network 'lan'
list network 'wwan'

First you need to set up an admin network properly so that you don't lose access. An admin network has:

• static /24 IP different from any of your other networks (including the upstream one)
  • physical device one of the lan Ethernet ports. Remove that port from br-lan. Make sure that you are connecting the PC to the correct port since on some models the logical port names don't match the manufacturer's marking on the case.
  • a DHCPv4 server.
  • Firewall zone that allows input. It is OK to place it in the lan zone if you leave the firewall otherwise as default.

With your PC logged in to the admin network you can change just about anything about the rest of the networking and wireless and not lose access.

Once this is working think about the overall scope of the project. Relayd is not recommended except as a last resort. It works in a home network where the AP is certain to stay up, and you truly need LAN access both ways across the repeater, such as to share files or a printer. It doesn't always work for that though.

If you are in a travel situation where you do not trust the upstream network anyway, and/or it is prone to go out of range, do not use relayd.