About network switch

Hello to all!
I am really new to openwrt. I happened to have a checkpoint L -50 and trying to figure out what to do with it (since it is EOL) I found out that openwrt supports it. And this is how it all began...
Anyway I managed to install openwrt, test it, brick it, install openwrt again and so on ..
Even managed to install a USB wifi I had and a huawei 3g USB stick.
And got them working, too, I was so proud hehe..
Anyway, this was kind of an intro...
I am at the point where I would like to try and set it up as a spare home router and thought it would be a good idea to replicate my existing configuration.
And one thing I would like to do is to create a VLAN .
There is supposed to be a switch submenu in LUCI, but I don't have it. After searching i read that if the device does not have a switch then the menu does not appear.
However, from the wiki I see that the device has 2x Marvell switches... So before going to possibly more difficult questions while diving into various other configurations, can someone please explain why I do not have the switch option?
Is it perhaps because the L-50 hardware is not fully supported?
In this case what can I do?
Thanks in advance for any help guys!!!
Have a good night!!!

Presumably master kirkwood image, so DSA

1 Like

Hello and thanks for taking the time to reply!
But I am afraid I am not sure what you mean exactly..
The switch ports are handled like individual
ports through DSA?
This is something that will/can be fixed on a later release, or it is as it is and will probably never change?

DSA exposes every port as an individual interface, yes. OpenWrt still has an overarching switch configuration in place though - but it's not yet exposed through LuCI. There is a PR pending to add that functionality:

It is a WIP, some hints as to configuring things to be found in the above PR, another methodology to be found in PR2942

Will definitely need to read the above.. I hope I will understand..
After a quick look...
I have a br-lan that includes lan1 to lan8.
If on lan1 I create eth1.1 and eth1.10 and then bridge eth1.1 with lans2-6 and eth1.10 with lan1 and lans7-8 will I get close to the result i am after (default vlan for ports 1-6 , vlan10 for ports 7&8 and port1 as a trunk port in cisco terminology)?
Or did I completely misunderstood???

Yes, first modify the lan by changing eth1 to eth1.1 and removing eth7 and eth8. Create a new network bridge 'vlan10'. Attach eth1.10, eth7, and eth8 to it.

Hello and thanks !
I managed to do it this way and seems to be working as it should.Ports 123567 hand a dhcp address of vlan1, ports 4&8 give a vlan 10 address.(I did it this way so that the far right ports belong to the same vlan)
Now for the life of me I can't figure out how to allow vlan1 access to vlan10 but not vice versa
When testing, at some point I managed to do the opposite (a machine on vlan 10 could ping a machine on vlan1 but the vlan1 machine could not ping the other on vlan10)
Thought I was close and tried different settings. Now they are completely isolated. I will need to understand a little better about the setting I need to tackle in firewall zones, I guess.
Any hint appreciated!

Ok, seems I was getting a bit confused between sources, destinations, and input output accepts/rejects.
I got it sorted out now.
Thanks to all for your assistance.
In case I run into any other issues I will create different topics in the appropriate sections.

This topic was automatically closed 0 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.