A supported router with more than 4 ports

Hi!

Is there a router, that is supported by OpenWRT and that provides more than 4 ethernet ports that can be configures as VLANS?

For upgrading a small office I need 6 LAN ports (=6 different VLANS) and 1 WAN port, and I really would like to avoid cascading routers, even if an appropriate device will be a bit more expensive than 2 smaller routers.

Wireless will also bee needed, but that can be done by using the now running router, so if a possible 6 port router does not include wifi, that is just a minor problem that can be solved.

Thanks in advance!

Routers with more than 4+1 ports are rather rare and expensive, as most of them rely on an internal switch anyways, it might more sense to go with a good (e.g. x86_64) router (typically 4 dedicated ethernet cards) in combination with a (large) managed switch (some of those with 8-52 ports are even supported by OpenWrt) to distribute your VLANs from a trunk port to your individual access ports.

5 Likes

There is one Asus device that I'm aware of with 9 LAN ports (Asus RT-AC88U), but its Broadcom WiFi, while generally working, is so bad that I sold it after a few days.

As you can see from the Wiki page, it really is a router with two embedded, cascaded switches.

Save yourself the hassle and go with @slh's suggestion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN perhaps?

1 Like

you can use multiple vlans on each interface
and you can also use a usb to Ethernet but I would not recommend it
better to offload all that stuff to a managed switch maybe
oh there are some switches you can load openwrt into
never done it tho but maybe what you are looking for

EdgeRouter6 or 10, if they are possible to buy.

But what you need is 7 ethernet ports, wan and lan is only a matter of configuration in the switch and a little paint work.

Or 8 ports if you want an external access point also?

But I would expand the router with a smart PoE switch instead of finding a gigantic router that solves all, that is the industry standard solution for your problem.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and hints, I really appreciate it!

@andyboeh: the installation page for the Asus RT-AC88U says:

LAN5-8 ports (Realtek switch) work without the ability of configuring VLANs or ports individually.

Bummer! Otherwise it would have been a good solution to my problem. And besides: that device looks awesome cool! Just like ripped straight out of the Batcave. :wink:

But for now I think I will use the second best option then: cascaded routers.

Thanks again!

Yes, but that's going to change: the upstream kernel already has full support for both switches. I don't know, however, when these changes are going to land in OpenWrt:

Edit: The two switches were already fully defined in Linux 6.1, the next kernel OpenWrt is going to use.

@ed8 No 2.5 Gbits support (yet) :frowning:

@weka
I second @slh's answer : go for an x86/64 mini router with extra managed switch. Best choice for an easy configuration. You can also add services afterward if you need as you'll have plenty of diskspace and RAM.

2 Likes

Could you clarify how many actually wired devices you're going to to provide network for? Maybe give us a quick overview of both, your network topology as well as the physical distance of your devices?

There's a couple of possible setups I can imagine. One is, as already suggested, using a single managed switch (somewhere between 16 and 48 ports) and using a single wire to connect the router to it. That would be the setup if all of your clients are in relative proximity.

Another one is using a single dumb (= unmanaged) switch to run wires across floors or buildings, and put a smaller but managed switch to every floor of every building.

Cheap-ish managed switches can be had for about 100€ for 24 port ones or about 250€ for 48 ports. I'm talking about Zyxel 1900 devices. I guess prices in $ are roughly in the same ball park.

No, this is not recommended. Unmanaged switches are not designed to carry tagged traffic, so the behavior is actually undefined. It is true that many unmanaged switches are fine passing the tags, but some are not, and in certain cases there could be problems (some minor, others serious). Always use managed switches wherever there are VLANs.

2 Likes

Sounds very interesting and promising! :slight_smile:

Does anyone know approximately when this feature will be available in OpenWRT? I will be able to postpone the upgrade for a few weeks.

Just to clarify it once again: WiFi won't have all features since its Broadcom-Hardware. And as already mentioned, I sold mine after just a few days because of this.

1 Like

Sorry, that's one of those things I keep forgetting that's technically true but I've never had a problem with.

But replace my suggestion to use an unmanaged switch for connecting network segments by using a managed switch that uses all-trunk ports and my post still transports my point here:

• Cascading switches to segregate building-level and floor-level distribution can be done to avoid huge chunks of wire runs
  • Vlan untagging can be done on a per-floor level or even a per-desk level, basically for being able to configure each and every rj45 jack individually no matter the floor or building. ***

*** I'm not suggesting to put managed switches on every desk. Floor wiring with a central switch per floor with wall mounted rj45 ports running to it is what I'm having in mind here.

If the router family has moved to 6.1 in main snapshot will be the first timeframe.
But I doubt the timeframe weeks, months or years more probably since the device tree probably needs to be redone in some way since the hardware options have changed.
And someone needs to actually look at it.

If you actually want to use a stable release, then 1-2years at best.

As has been said before here at OpenWrt, don’t be dependent on future functions that isn’t finalized.

I'd say at least 3 months as currently there is no MR and it takes at least 1 month to review such a big change so don't wait for this

I was looking into this same issue just yesterday. ( I don't care about wireless performance. It will be disabled)

The three options that I am considering were:
ASUS RT-AC88U 8+1 port

Linksys EA9500 v1

and just using an affordable 8 port managed switch for VLAN management and trunking, such as a netgear GS108E v3 or the slightly more expensive and capable GS108T

I already have a zyxel GS 1920-24 managed switch which was great value 2nd hand. :slight_smile:

Any and all insights welcomed ! :wink:

Stay away from the GS108E. While it generally works, the WebUI is terrible (OK, you don't need it very often), but if you set it to DHCP, you never know on which VLAN it requests its IP. Sometimes, it was just unreachable. I replaced both that I had with GS308T/GS108Tv3 and OpenWrt.

The GS108Tv3 is working fine though (I only tested it with OpenWrt on it, can't say anything about the stock firmware). If you don't need the PoE port, the GS308T is a bit cheaper.

On the used market, the ZyXEL GS1900-series can often be found much cheaper, at least where I live.

1 Like

8 x lan, 1 x wan, 1 x DMZ so 10 ports in total

1 Like

2.5 GbE is fully functional on 5.15 (which means 23.05), as the wiki entry explains it's a regression in 6.1. That will hopefully get fixed once mvebu fully moves to 6.1.

I have two, one at home and another in a remote SOHO setup. Very happy with them.