802.11ax Routers

Are you running OpenWrt on the DL-WRX36?

Yes, @frollic linked the whole thread but its working and I am using it as my home AP

1 Like

I'm finding the RT3200 has much better range than the Archer C7 v4. Perhaps the v2 was far superior than the v4?

Unfortunatly i cannot find it in europe

The Mercusys MR70X, a AX1800 device, cheap in parts of Europe (<40€).
Not officially supported, but you can use a d-link openwrt firmware.

Reliable **router**, less than €50 - #19 by frollic + the feed back further down.

There's also PR open for official support.

Presently, I can get the DL-WRX36 for $79 (amazon) and the RT3200 for $69 (Walmart) shipped.

The DL-WRX36 really looks quite good for an all-in-one solution! For $10 more, the Quad A53 cores at 2.2 GHz look like quite an upgrade over the dual A53 cores at 1.35 GHz in the Belkin RT3200 and other MT7622 offerings.

Are we lucky enough that you've had both the DL-WRX36 and RT3200 at one time to compare, and if so could you comment on their relative dumb AP WiFi6 performance running on OpenWrt? As good as the DL-WRX36 looks for an all-in-one, all I need are dumb AP's with some ports on them.

1 Like

I'm surprised it's so cheap on Amazon, compared to what's asked on eBay, it's usually the the other way around...

$79 is all time low, according to CCC.

It is surprisingly affordable, but not being a mainstream consumer brand and some purchaser reviews suggesting the firmware needs improvement may have created an ideal situation for Openwrt cognoscenti :wink:

2 Likes

Dynalink is just rebranding Askey RT5010W, its great HW for that price, doubt you are gonna find better

3 Likes

Between mt76 (Belkin RT3200 / Linksys E8450 etc.) and ath11k (Dynalink DL-WRX-36 etc.), which driver do you guys think performs better when it comes to 802.11ax (HE) mode? Also which driver has lower bufferbloat (related to make-wifi-fast aka fq_codel in mac80211)?

Second. I'm thinking about buying a couple more just to play around with batman-adv. Beastly little canisters for the price and definitely the most viable AX device I've seen so far.

honestly kind of funny, how the Belkin is cheaper in the US. In Europe it's the other way around.
DL-WRX36 for 69€, while devices with an MT7622 and MT7915 cost 100€ (or more) and the Belkin RT3200 hasn't been even available to buy in the last couple of weeks/months. The Netgear WAX206 is available though and there is an open PR for it, so support is nearly ready :slight_smile:
Ok usually devices with an IPQ807x cost way more than the dynalink and the xiaomi, but still: the cheapest MT7621/MT7905 combo in Germany is the MR70X from Mercusys (TP-Link related hw) for 46€ while others with that combo sit around 60/70€

I'm going to get a Dynalink soon as well. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my Asus RT-AX53U and the Netgear WAX202 from a friend.

1 Like

Not found DL-WRX36 in Europe for 69€ ...

the cheapset option for MT7621 CPU & MT7915E Radio is the D-Link DAP-X1860. While it has only one LAN-Port and sits in front of the power outlet, its wifi is very powerful. Costs < 30 EUR.

1 Like

DE Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B098WC99VC/

2 Likes

Xiaomi ax3200 is ~48€ here in Poland and with recent mt76 improvements It's nice alternative to mt7621+mt7915 for basically the same price :smiley: . btw I've got mercusys mr1800x (mr70x) for ~24€ in dec. 2021 and It's more than 40€ atm.

OOS now anyway.

1 Like

The dynalink will probably be available again soon. I plan on buying one, once it hits master, so I can build Gluon for it :slight_smile:
Availability of certain routers has been spotty lately. (they aren't always in stock, shipping seems to have some hiccups still)

1 Like

@Annick Xiaomi ax3200