22.03.04 building from src

I get following warnings:
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/boot/kexec-tools/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblzma', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/services/lldpd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libnetsnmp', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist

On my ubuntu, there are a few dozens of possible libpam-xyz modules, to be installed. Can the error msg be more specific, please ?

Please, update the docs regarding packages to be installed, before building from src, because of this new required one:

Build dependency: Please install the Python3 distutils module

1 Like

I did upgrade the Ubuntu list after upgrading ubuntu to the 22.04 LTS version late last year when some packages didn’t work.

What Ubuntu have you and what package list did you run?

None of those Makefile dependencies require installation to the host. It is about OpenWrt source repo and feeds repos.

(The build dependency of python3-distutils needs to be installed, I think)

I use Ubuntu 22.10 and it works just fine.

1 Like

I use Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS. Build process works for me; however, the warnings are very irritating.

Somehow I think the fastest and easiest way to fix this for the longest time is to actually just simply upgrade Ubuntu…

The warnings are triggered because certain packages in core have optional dependencies on libpam in the package feed. The feed dependency tracker for source packages is not smart enough to figure out that the libpam dependencies are conditional and depending on certain menuconfig settings being enabled.

The easiest fix is simply installing the libpam source package from the packages feeds (./scripts/feeds update; ./scripts/feeds install libpam), even if it ends up not being used or even compiled to begin with.

The same applies to the other dependency warnings.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, this works regarding libpam.
However, I still get

./scripts/feeds install apinger-rrd
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/luci/luci-app-apinger/Makefile' has a dependency on 'apinger-rrd', which does not exist
WARNING: No feed for package 'apinger-rrd' found

One more good idea regarding this one ?

Update and install all feeds to the 22.03 head branch head.

I have backported the apinger-rrd to 22.03 after the 22.03.4 release.

Do not leave the packages, luci etc. feeds locked into the static 22.03.4 commit. The missing apinger-rrd package was missing at the 22.03.4 tag moment, so the warning will always be there if you checkout the static historic 22.03.4 tag.

Instead, just checkout the 22.03 branch and update feeds.

1 Like
> git checkout v22.03
error: pathspec 'v22.03' did not match any file(s) known to git

Sorry, unexperienced user here. What is the tag under which the apinger-rrd may be found ?

It's a remote branch, if you check the github page there are different branches.

Show available remote branches:

git branch -r

Check the list for v22.03, You can then git checkout , make sure to write the full path

Do not git checkout back the previous tag, just stay in the v22.03 branch.

1 Like

There is nothing called ”v22.03”!

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/toolchain/use-buildsystem#selecting_branch

1 Like

I use this to find tags (usually tail or grep it):

git ls-remote --tags https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git
1 Like

That is a very long line compared to the dev guide.

But I don’t do tags anymore, usually I only build master or alternative the stable release snapshot.

1 Like