2.4 GHz and 5 GHz under the same SSID or separate ones?

My laptop has Wifi AC it is a lenovo miix 510, with Qualcom Atheros QCA61x4A wireless chipset.

I have been makin test in the router, installing some test packages…

May be it is better that I upload a clean firmware and restart configuring it.

I will see if the official firmware gives me the same results.

Well, I have been doing tests today.

I have reflashed my router with original firmware and configured it in a similar way.

I had more or less the same rates.
I could double it to 90 Mbps, but I could see that speed yesterday with openwrt.

Then I connected the router directly to my PC and disconnect other router wifi.

I twaked channels and I started to see better speeds.
But it is somehow erratic, now you see 150 Mbps and later it drops to 60, Higher channels seem to get better speed but more erratic and it takes a lot for the ssid to appear (may be due to DFS).

Then I reinstalled openwrt and configured it with separate channels (to be sure I am connecting to 5 GHz) and begin tests.

Now I can see similar data rates.

I have not activated roaming nor installed wpad I am using wpad-mini may be wpad gives me worse data rates, I don't know.

I have it channel 36 and I could read 220 Mbps and more (peaks of 312).
But other times it drops to 95.

It seems that it depends on other access point being emitting or not (as aps emit low power when nobody is connected).

So there is nothing bad in the router and nothing bad in openWRT.

I am having problems with auto channel selection for Spain, as it selects 149 channel at it does not seem to connect, at least for a long long time (I guess due to DFS again).

But that is another question. I will begin another thread to make questions about DFS.

I have joined 2.4 and 5 GHz under the same SSID and I get similar results.

So low rates seem to be due to interferences and emisions from others.

May be wpad does not work as well as wpad mini in my device (FritzBox 4040 which is quite new but it seems fully supported by openWRT).

Unlikely as they are the same code base, just with certain features removed to save flash space and perhaps a tiny bit of RAM.

Ch. 149 is typically not DFS. See, for example http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2013/03/80211ac-channel-planning.html

Again, "auto" does nothing that I know of in terms of actively selecting or dynamically changing the channel. You should select a channel and set it in your config.

1 Like

You are right, it was not the router, or the wpad software...

It was the ethernet link.

I have 1 Gbit in all the house, and I had tested it recently.

But some days ago they came to extend fiber from the small cabinet in the hall were the router was, to the room were it is now.

They used the same tube as the ethernet wire.

It seems that they have disconnected some of the copper wires that is used to 1 Gbit and now I have only 100 MB.
I had not realised of it because the PC is connected to the router and it reports 1 Gbit link, and the ISP router does not report the speed of the link.

This morning I began to think about wire problems when I saw that with the openWRT router connected directly to my PC it reported much better speeds.

I have been testing iperf3 speeds from several points with the laptop connected through wire until I determined the problem

Now I have to call them to repair the wire.

A lot of time missed in this.

2 Likes

So auto does nothing in openwrt? it does not change channel when one channel it too busy?

I will use 36 channel for now, as it is not too busy, but I will do tests with other channels.

The problem with the auto setting is that it selects 149 and it blocks there for quite a long time. It does not seem to begin emitting in that channel.

I thought it was due to DFS (128 channel takes a good time to connect in it) but it seems that 149 channel is not affected by DFS.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.