1Gbps revisited?

About this topic:

1. It is pined but suddenly not listed if I'm logged in. Why?

2. It is 2023 now, 4 cores with 2GHz are not uncommon. Should the thread be updated?

That thread is locked, otherwise I would post there.

1 Like

For (1) there is a per account pinned / unpinned status for pinned messages. Click the pin on a pinned message to toggle it for your account. Common to unpin some messages after using the site for a while.

For 2, 4 cores with 2GHz are common for embedded small all-in-one systems? I don't know, I haven't really been in the market. Lots of people moving to x86 devices like N95 or N100 intel mini-pc systems. I still think that's the sweet spot for spending your money if you're over 400Mbps connection in either direction.

4 Likes

The gist of that thread is still current, your best bet for handling 1.0-2.5 GBit/s is indeed x86_64 (and the contemporary N95/ N100 systems should do a good job with that, including sqm/cake).

If you drop the sqm requirement, we're slowly seeing competition from the more traditional wifi router platforms (foremost filogic 820/ 830/ 880, mt7622bv and ipq8072a and up), but the margins with x86_64 remain considerably more comfortable.

5 Likes

Yeah, I probably clicked it on accident.

I looked at https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128_ax-wifi and there are routers listed there costing 100 or less EUR with 2 or 4 cores, 1-2 GHz. So they are not uncommon. Not common, but available. The original thread says: " The answer is NO. Why? Because they don't really exist."
That is not true in 2023.
I'm not saying x86 and other ideas are bad, just that the state of things in 2021 was different than it is now.

that thread is 2.5 years old ...

but, as @slh stated, if you add SQM to the mix, it could get tight.

I believe the x86_64 recommendation needs to be more specific if you're looking for something considerably more powerful than all the targets you're listing there.

ivy-bridge celeron 1037u can do 1 GBit/s sqm/cake half asleep; can't add faster nics to this mini-PC (but there is a lot of untapped headroom).
baytrail-d atom j1900 cannot (<830 MBit/s).

Above 1 GBit/s, others will have to fill in the gaps (while I have two systems with 2.5GBASE-T, those would be total overkill).