18.06 on Raspberry Pi 3 B+

I've tried to run OpenWrt on a Pi 3 B+ but it won't boot.
It sticks on the "rainbow screen" so no console output at all.
I've used this image:
openwrt-18.06.0-brcm2708-bcm2710-rpi-3-ext4-factory.img.gz
Double checked the sha256sum, and blown it on to the uSD card using dd from ubuntu (after uncompressing it).
The image looks fine - I can mount it on my Ubuntu machine and both partitions look sensible.
Anyone else tried this?
What have I missed?

Maybe try the snapshot builds?
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/brcm2708/bcm2710/openwrt-brcm2708-bcm2710-rpi-3-ext4-factory.img.gz

I think that brcm-gpu is not updated and those binaryes are too old for 3+

Thanks for your replies.
I've tried the snapshot build from today. That appears to boot. I currently have no console so I can't watch it boot, but I've changed the IP address to one that works on my subnet and I can ssh in to it.
Luci does not work. I can ping the device, and ssh to it, but no web interface.
Any ideas?

LuCI is not included in the snapshot builds. You can install it via opkg, but you'll first need to setup the networking such that the OpenWRT Pi has an IP address, gateway, and DNS on your network. If, while ssh'd into the Pi, you can ping out to the internet, you should be able to simply run:

opkg update
opkg install luci
1 Like

Hmmm... trying it on a 3 or earlier Pi would be a good test.

Was thinking of creating a new thread, then a pop-up appeared saying that the title I wanted to choose(Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Installation and Support Status) was similar to this topic, so I'll just post here first then.

The images provided here(stable releases for bcm2710 subtarget) are not really ready for the 3B+, but are more for the 3 non-Plus? Would that mean that for now the development snapshots should be used? I tried burning the ext4-factory.img onto a 4GB micro SD card, but when I put the card in and powered up the Pi, the ACT LED blicks 4 times at one rate, then blinks faster for another four times, which repeats.

Currently I do not have a serial cable, but I can get it to use it if it is needed. Does the Pi 3 B+ always show a rainbow screen when booting if connected to a screen, regardless of whether the system is supposed to be headless(ie Regardless of image burned onto the SD card, as long as a screen is connected, the rainbow screen will show on the screen)?

Being stuck at the rainbow screen means you are unable to load the kernel.

It does appear that the 18.06 release image does not have bootable GPUs code or kernel for the 3B+. I had success using the 18.06 snapshot (using it now to write this post).

After flashing the factory image you need to get internet access if you want to install luci for web administration using opkg. Note that it appears the Ethernet activity leds don’t work either, but you can check the activity lights on the other end of the cable to verify link. If you plan to plug in the wired Ethernet to your existing network you will need to use uci at the command line to change eth0 from a static ip to dhcp.

You can use serial or just hook up the hdmi and a usb keyboard and work on the Pi directly for command line access.

I also experienced an issue where eth0 doesn’t work (won’t get an ipv4 address I’m dhcp mode) unless it is tied to a bridge. It can be the only device on the bridge, but it must be on a bridge. The factory image has eth0 bridged on the lan so it will work on an existing network if you just change it to dhcp.

1 Like

What is the procedure you used to burn the image into the SD card? I tried using etcher on both .img and the .gz but I still seem unable to get anything. Unless I am missing something like using the serial cable, or maybe I should use something else other than Etcher.io. Intending to use the 3 B + as a router, but it seems like I may be going to have to do it using Stretch Lite as a stopgap until the OpenWRT image is fully ready.

I use dd from Linux and Mac command line. Something like ‘sudo dd if=/path/to/image/openwrt_image_file.img of=/dev/rdiskX (on Mac, /dev/sdX on Linux where X is the number or letter of you sd reader) bs= 2m conv=sync’. Raspberry pi website has more detailed instructions using dd. People seem to like Win32 disk imager on windows.

Now that I have managed to get a snapshot updated and LUCI running, I'd like to ask about what to do for the onboard LAN port if I want to use the RPi 3B+ as a router(ie onboard LAN connected to a modem/ONT). Seems like I have to bridge eth0 even after it is put into WAN?
EDIT: Seems like bridging WAN is the last step needed to have a functioning Pi router using OpenWRT/LEDE. Thanks for helping to guide the way!

You can copy start.elf from latest Raspbian (in the FAT partition) to the openwrt's FAT partition, and openwrt will start. Apparently, the on-board wifi is not detected.

I have onboard wifi working from the snapshot builds.

I have noticed a few things that are still an issue:

1. The release builds don't boot. Neither 18.06 or 18.06.1. Snapshots between 18.06 and 18.06.1 work, and snapshots post 18.06.1 work. Seems like something is different in the build process for the two (most likely in the FAT partition where the GPU and kernel live).
  2. The 3 B+ has a gigabit NIC, and when using Raspbian or other distros I can get a gigabit link and push > 100 mbps. I just loaded the latest snapshot (r7819-0ddb34b from 9/03) and I am still only getting 100mbit link. Perhaps this is due to the bcrm27xx builds still using the 4.9 kernel instead of 4.14 like some of the other platforms.
  3. The ethernet port only works when attached to a bridge. It can't be the only physical interface attached to an OpenWrt interface.
  4. The link lights on the Pi's ethernet port don't work in OpenWrt.
2 Likes

Well 18.06 does not boot as the updated brcm2708-gpu-fw is not applied to the 18.06 branch and also firmware for the Broadcom WiFi is also not in 18.06

4.9 kernel is also a issue as it requires a huge amount of patches and nobody seems to want to be the one rebasing all of that on 4.14

It will most likely wait the next kernel bump(Most likely to 4.19 as its the next LTS kernel)

I am working on getting the LEDs working.
It required a driver backport from 4.18 and patch to the DTS.
Its building now and gotta test it out.

I tried rebasing the target to 4.14 but there is way too much patches of which most are not used at all in OpenWrt.
Even 4.14 is old for upstream support or Pi

LED is solved.
I will open a PR for it today.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

snapshot builds 2018-09-11
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/brcm2708/bcm2710/openwrt-brcm2708-bcm2710-rpi-3-ext4-factory.img.gz

Raspberry Pi 3 B+
CPU BCM2837B0 is very heat
Is it normal?

vist web site 192.168.1.1 to report wrong:"Unable to round-trip http request to upstream: dial tcp 192.168.1.1:80: connectex: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

I'm having the same problem as OP, my RPI3B+ will not boot 18.06.1. I was able to boot the snapshot and everything seems to work but I cannot install the packages needed to get my ASIX usb to ethernet adapter to work. Is there anything in the works to get the image to load on RPI3B+?