18.06.0-rc1 on vgv7510kw22 O2 Box 6431

Hello,

I just ran RC1 on an O2 Box 6431 and found out this:

• Internet does not connect: although I entered valid credentials and changed config to match what was previously used on 17.04 (the defaults are now different it seems) and VDSL is synced as it should, I could not get an internet connection. Visible symptom is that the internet LED would not turn on, and of course there is no internet connection. I tried multiple times an copy pasted user/password in order to not make a typo, but no success.
  • downgrade to 17.04 per sysupgrade needed to be forced since the writing of device name seems to have changed. ( I think there is a change of _ to - or vice versa, I don't remember exactly)
  • On RC1 the processor is still running one core only, although there is a patch mentioned on the TOH.
  • trunk / develop builds of version 18 are not reachable over http. Maybe that is intended or does only apply to the two I have tested?
  • and a not reproducible problem I encountered: first thing I made was sysupgrade from 17.04 to 18 Snapshot. This made the device cought in a boot loop. So I opened it and soldered in order to get into UART mode. On the first try I didn't succeed, but the device booted into openwrt directly. Quite strange, how did it get out of the boot loop... I don't know....
    Since I am not a developer I can not be more specific about that.

greetings

Make sure that your /etc/config/network is correct (no more ptm0, only dsl0). Given that the vgv7510kw22 has FXS hardware, the DTS reserves one CPU core for the voice engine, you can't change that without modifying the DTS and rebuilding the firmware image.

1 Like

I'm running a snapshot from December, and after adapting the old config files to that snapshot (ptm0->dsl0 and a few other changes), things worked really well. I have to retry with 18.06-rc1.
AFAIK the single-core configuration is intentional to allow FXS usage. If you don't ned FXS (analog phones), lots of other routers would make a lot more sense from a hardware perspective.

1 Like

I tried to upgrade but that did not worked. I flashed just the brn image with the firmware recovery mode (reset button).
When i try sysupgrade with such installed brn image, i cant either force a new brn openwrt image with sysupgrade -F, either i am able to sysupgrade -F the non-brn image.
Is the only way to update the device to always use the firmware recovery mode or would there be in some future a working sysupgrade functionality enabled?

When i always have to flash the new image over the recovery brn mode, i always loose all the configuration. Can someone look into why you cant update the Firmware just normal with sysupgrade/luci?

Thanks for all answers! I now was brave enough to make the update to 18.06.1 on my router: it worked great!
I just had to reinstall the packages and configuration was kept, and now even the HE.net tunnel that ceased to work is up again.
The config ptm->dsl was automatic.

greetings

1 Like

In another thread someone was complaining about periodic failure of the LAN ports.
You don't experience this kind of issue with 18.06.1?

Hi,

well, I am basically only using one port for computers because I connected a switch, the router is on the other side of the room. So I might not had encounters with this problem yet.
On the other side it turned out the upgrade was not so flawless: port forwarding and/or ddns is not working correctly. I have to check that next week...

These problems are most likely config related.
If it doesn't bother you much i would reset the router to defaults and configure it from the scratch.

You asked about issues with LAN ports. I dont have any issues with any lan ports for months when using latest openwrt code and latest supported kernel (have not tested older software)

1 Like

There are also no problems with the LAN ports here. By the way port forwarding sorted itself out one or two days after posting. :+1:

1 Like