1000 megabit/s fanless router >2 ports (no WiFI)

So you advice the Bpi R3 for extendability? I guess the cpu is less powerful as it has A53 instead of a mix with A72? How about power usage? And lastly price?

There are many passive cooled mini PCs using 6W and 10W TDP x86 CPUs today. For example, the N5100 TDP is only 6W, which is power use at full load. The RK3588S CPU in the R6S has a TDP of 12W, versus the 7W TDP RK3399 in the R4S (which idles around 2W).

It's good to know the R6S only draws around 5W with router only use, but I would guess it uses quite a bit more power running a VPN or shaping traffic with SQM/QoS at that speed. Still, if the R6S ever gets supported by OpenWrt, the price comes down from $156 shipped to my location, and I need more than 1 Gbps, it could be an option. Otherwise, I'll probably be looking at an x86 based router with more 2.5G ports so I don't have to buy a companion 2.5G capable switch.

Correct.

The CPU is pretty good. Quad core, 2GHz. Yes, A53, but more than enough horsepower. I use the device to do OpenWrt builds on.

I don't have hard numbers, not the kind you want, for the simple fact the only device I have is semi-production and makes heavy use of both WiFi radios. The entire device operates about 20 watts with both radios operating at full power as access points. Without the radios operating it seems to peak around 10W with all four cores operating.

It has some of the best features per dollar I've seen. You can get it with case, power supply, and heat sinks for $120EUR.

Yeah I understand the pain to get this stuff in other countries, I speaks Chinese so I was able to contact FriendlyElec China to buy from them directly which was only ~US$110 (I also bought R2S/R4S from them at very cheap price), and the R6C I can also get it at around USD80 which still competitive when compared with something like Beelink EQ12 nowadays.

something link Intel soft router offers up to eight 2.5GbE ports, Comet Lake or Whiskey Lake Core processor - CNX Software (cnx-software.com) ?

Above four ports (especially for 'small' devices, smaller than 19" rack mounting), I'd always be a little wary of mdio-controlled switches or other non-standard ways to connect up all the ports being involved (e.g. velocloud). The specs don't directly suggest that, but I wouldn't be 100% relieved either.

Actually I was attracted by this at first :stuck_out_tongue:
Included metal casing, while Pi4B you still need to buy one for better heat dissipation, and also the price, R4S wins for sure.

Curious that no one has mentioned a Zimaboard yet.
I have 4, one of which has been running OpenWRT for several months (I was an earlybird backer). I've been super happy with performance and reliability. The 832 is probably overkill for an OpenWRT router, but that's what all of mine are.
I run mine with GRUB and two complete installations on different partitions: one a release version of OpenWRT, and the other a current snapshot.

I would suggest Nanopi R5S from FriendlyElec. (3 ports, over 1Gb, 4GB RAM, 2280 slot) I'm currently using it and from my experience it is powerful enough for ~2Gb/s internal network connection and 1Gb Internet is of course not a problem. It can also hold some Docker imgs for daily use. Quite powerful I think. However the 4GB RAM might be a limitation for some larger imgs and heavier workload (e.g. Plex for a bunch of people)

Speaking of NanoPi I'd rather use the latest R6S with 8GB RAM. Although it is a little bit higher in price, the advantage of 8GB RAM is really making it eligible for some larger Docker imgs and more users. But the only thing is that the FriendlyWRT(OEM OpenWRT + LUCI) for this device is not yet officially released.

R5S is slower than R4S in terms of CPU power, but it has 2.5G ports, however I simply go straight to R6S. The mainline support of RK3588 should be not too far from now, and also someone made a custom compilation of OpenWrt for R6S, I will test later.

Because too expensive (at least in my country), given it's Apollo Lake CPU which is also old, we can now get those J4125/N5105 similar price but much faster.

Go n100 2.5gig then, future proof for sure.

The R4S shapes Gbps with CAKE SQM/QoS no problem.

Have you done any testing with your R5S to see what it can actually shape with CAKE before it runs out of CPU? I would guess the slower CPU in the R5C and R5S runs out of CPU to handle CAKE somewhere around 700 Mbps.

The R5S does look interesting (I'd probably get the R5C to get the USB ports), and a PR was just started to add OpenWrt R5C and R5S support in SNAPSHOT (hurray!), but the R4S seems like a better option for up to 1 Gbps routing.

R5S sqm 0/40000 eth0, pocake, ppo22, mpu64 https://www.speedtest.net/result/14865641443 885.36/37.46Mbps Ping ms 22/52/16

2 Likes

AVM Fritzbox 4040 https://openwrt.org/toh/avm/avm_fritz_box_4040

got 5x Gbit Ports and does roughly 400Mbit through wireguard

Nice! I wouldn't have guessed it had it in it. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This is hard to believe for a IPQ4018 4-core arm A7 device (@638MHz) like the 4040. At the very least I would expect that some hardware acceleration would be needed... not sure whether OpenWrt supports that... Now, if @edeso measured that under OpenWrt I am impressed, but if these are vakues from e.g. FritzOS these might not be predictive for OpenWrt wireguard performance.

Wireguard doesn't seem to have any kind of hardware assist available.
BTW the CPU itself isn't that fast, I tested my Google WiFi (IPQ4019, same family) and the ethernet routing throughput barely hits 700Mbps. So I think it struggles when VPN is in place.

3 Likes

actually i did not but quote a generally trustworthy german magazine c't which tried OpenWrt/Wireguard on that box.

i got one here, so if there increased interest i could run a local test. would need some tips how to measure throughput though.

I've had my eye on the BPI-R3, but I've been waiting to see how this issue pans out: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/12143