1 router with low quality wifi connection impacts overall performance?

I have following setup: A wifi router connected to ethernet and 2 other wifi routers in the house. These 3 routers are connected with a mesh/802.11s (from package wpad-mesh-openssl) over 5Ghz and they expose a 5/2.5Ghz wifi access in the house; resulting in strong wifi network in house; everywhere 5Ghz wifi is strong, giving minimal 300Mb/s between wifi devices and ethernet connected devices (and Internet access is around 100Mb/s). 2.5Ghz is strong enough in the garden.

Following issue: I need a 5Ghz* wifi in the basement for measuring power consumption of a heat pump. And in the basement the 5Ghz is not getting in... 2.5Ghz is 'medium' quality (around -70dB).

My plan is to extend the mesh to also bridge over 2.5Ghz.

The question: will extending the mesh network over 2.5GHz to a node that has lower quality wifi access to the mesh, reduce overall performance?
Or is Ethernet/Layer 2/802.11c smart enough to handle a combination of 'faster' and 'slower' nodes without reducing overall impact.

Do you plan to put other WiFi clients in the basement? That 2.4 GHz WiFi should be more than enough for the heat pump's power meter, and those kinds of low-bandwidth WiFi-enabled devices usually don't even support 5 GHz to begin with. If the power meter will be the only WiFi client in your basement, you might not need to extend the mesh.

It just became a bit ridiculous.
Indeed I was completely surprised that the device was on 5Ghz... (as such measuring devices are often where wifi is less powerfull). I believed this for a few months. Now I checked again and read it is on 2.4Ghz.
Topic closed...

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.