1 Gigabit WiFi router recommendation for Indian Market

Mine says:

...while the 5GHz band delivers speeds up to 867Mbps...

So, it can actually route all of the 800 Mbps with firewall, filtering etc. disabled?

semi-disabled. I think this works kinda like the first packet which sets up the connection gets inspected by the kernel, after that the kernel instructs the special hardware processor that the rest of the connection can be let through directly without asking the kernel for permission. Something like that. But then, the hardware flow offloading doesn't do any smart queue management etc, so it just copies packets from one interface to another, and latency or packet drops be damned.

1 Like

Which is true. But deceptive for non-technical users.

5Ghz mimo 2x2 can deliver up to 867Mhz under absolutely optimal conditions.

You'll never get that in real world conditions, though, where interference and physical distance from the radio will degrade the performance.

I think you'll find that they're careful not to make any statement at all about the capability of the device itself to route at the physical sync speed of the access medium.

1 Like

I am hurt to find out that I am a non-technical user :cry:

Is Mhz a typo or is it actually the frequency at which each megabit is transmitted?

Of course, but I assume people will get ~800? Otherwise many would be complaining... including me! I sit fairly close to the router with a clean LoS so there shouldn't be much interference.

Is there a list of hardware-accelerated packet routing capable routers with OpenWrt?

It's a typo. Should read 867Mbps

1 Like

802.11ac (2x2) 867 MBit/s WLAN 'speed' is the brutto link rate both ends can establish, but the netto throughput is about half of that (even under ideal lab conditions, in practice more like ~350 (+/- 10%) MBit/s effective throughput). If you want to transmit at 1 GBit/s over the air (in the same room), you'd need 802.11ax (wifi 6) gear.

1 Like

Is that like a shared resource where constant up and down loads are happening or is it a hard cap for each direction? In other words, can I download in 800 MBit/s with minimal uploads?

No, that's already about the best case scenario.

Check the Wikipedia link posted.

If you want to get as close to gbit speeds as possible, using AC, you'll need an AC2900 or AC3150 device.

Again, all theoretical speeds....

1 Like

@slh This seems to be contradicting the practical experience I am having, my Archer C60 is rated for 100 Mbps and it is able to provide a downlink of ~90 Mbps, while the theoretical maxium should be just half of that, am I wrong?

@frollic Too thick and technical for me unfortunately...

The C60 delivers a theoretical 867Mbps on the 5GHz band/radio, you use ~1/8 of that theoretical max.

The table at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac-2013#Advertised_Speeds is pretty straight forward, translates AC types to (theoretical) max speeds.

You are mixing up Wired versus Wireless throughput.

2 Likes

I think you got confused, which is understandable because the C60 is an older model that I currently own (have been using it for 2 years now), the new router that caught my eye is the C6, notice the lack of zero. Mine is only rated for 100 Mbps according to marketing material.

Holy Moly, I just realized my current router is rated for 800 Mbits too :exploding_head:
But what I failed to notice is this: 10/100Mbps WAN Port, so the port itself can't do more than 100 megabits.

Yes... I did mix up both, I thought the 100Mbits was for the wireless throughput, didn't read properly until now :sob:

--

Anyway, does that mean the C6 router I mentioned in the first post is good for 500 Mbps speeds? It has "Gigabit ports" according to one of the screenshots.

According to https://www.blacktubi.com/review/tp-link-archer-c6-review/ it'll almost reach 1gbit over a wired connection, with NAT boost.

Assuming OpenWRT support the boost function, you should be able to get the same figures there.

1 Like

How do I check if the C6 is one of those models? The device's wiki page is sadly not very informative in this regard.

1 Like

Hello everybod maybe linksys ea8450 can make

Look this spécifications :+1:

1 Like

Maybe I can help... The C6 v3 have a MT7621 chipset. Both MT7621 and MT7620 can do hardware flow offloading (HFO).... I have a C6 v3 that can reach 800Mbits in wired (wireless is another problem, mt76 driver have a long way :slight_smile: ) .... I use Openwrt master.... But I think that 18 can do HFO (19 for sure) ... And only IPv4. IPv6 is not implemented yet....

1 Like

@Dopam-IT_1987 Are you sure that the specific model exist? DDG returns 0 search results:

No results found for linksys "ea8450".

@gaspare Nice, not sure if the one being sold on Amazon.in is v3... also, what seeds are you getting with wireless? Have you been able to achieve full capacity using OEM firmware?

That probably should have been "Linksys E8450" or "Belkin rt3200" (almost the same device, aside from case colour and number of LEDs (no LAN LEDs on the Belkin)).

1 Like