OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Hitachi SimpleNET NAS Head USB 2.0 Portable Dongle - SNET

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The device is too new to be included - however I have started breaking it apart and have written one how-to and am trying now to use a buildroot to see if I can generate a running system. Try http://www.kiblerelectronics.com/corner/ccii_11.html for how to connect a serial port and break into uboot.  It uses the Star/Cavium Networks cns2132/str8132.

Wow. I am impressed on what you have done and achieved. Excellent works! I hope you will succeed.

After reading the link you provided, I think this little device is an excellent candidate to hack. It has plenty of Flash/RAM (8/64MB) to run various applications, i.e. asterisk, freeswitch, etc. I have friends down in one of S.E. Asean countries using a WiFi USB modem from their ISP. Eventually, I am sure this device can be used to connect to the WiFi USB modem and a router for them to share their devices to the Internet.

Thank you for letting us know and hope you will keep coming back to provide more updates. You may want to join the developer team here and update your works on the Developer Only forum.

I hope to get one unit to play with once the price is more affordable to me.

Hi bdkibler,

thanks for the post - good work taking it apart. I've got buildroot-2009.02 working with uClibc 0.9.28.3 - was able to build ssh client, tcpdump, lsof and other binaries, but now, after cross-compiling stock 2.6.16, I'm having problem with getting kernel modules to insmod. Since I have also a working compiler for armv4l (tested only statically compiling hello-world.c), I might try to build the modules straight on the device itself. :-)

I'd like usb/net/rtl8150.c (usb2ethernet) and usb/serial/mct_u232.c (usb2serial) so that I can use SimpleNET as a  ssh gateway and terminal server to my primary router/firewall at home.

Any luck getting your own kernel to boot?

BTW, I've reported a bug with the new firmware - http://www.parityodd.com/2009/11/oh-no- … -woes.html (last comment).

Glad to hear my work is helping others out. I can not tell from your post if your using the serial port I found or
using their update process.

Sorry to say, I have not done anything yet - too many other projects are using up my time. I plan to get back to the project after the holidays, since I have a second unit now. It seems fry's puts them on sale at least once a month and I noticed that Staples had them on sale this last weekend.

It looks like your doing everything I would have done myself and am I right in thinking your running on the platform(?) and compiling there as well? I have noticed in buildroot code, plenty of patches for the kernel but have yet to dig into those patches - have you added patches to your kernel version yet? insmod failing might just need a patch. I hope you keep us posted on how your doing.

As to the bug report - great to know, as I will not update my unit I use for a NAS server. I think there are other bugs as well, but haven't had the time to document them or make sure they are a bug. I will post once I know for sure. Thanks for your work and comments!

Finally at last, was able to built rtl8150, usbserial, and mct_u232 modules that would load, a minor hackery with bvi to get the vermagic to match :-)

# uname -a
Linux tomalak 2.6.16-star #87 Fri Oct 23 15:02:54 CST 2009 armv4l unknown

# /var/ftp/MINIROOT/module-init-tools/sbin/modinfo /var/ftp/MINIROOT/tmp/rtl8150.ko 
license:        GPL
description:    rtl8150 based usb-ethernet driver
author:         Petko Manolov <petkan@users.sourceforge.net>
srcversion:     20455D0967C82E5773A2B3B
alias:          usb:v07B8p401Ad*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v3980p0003d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v0411p0012d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v0BDAp8150d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends:       
vermagic:       2.6.16-star ARMv4 gcc-3.4

# readelf /var/ftp/MINIROOT/tmp/rtl8150.ko                                         
Type:           REL (Relocatable File)
Machine:        ARM
Class:          ELF32
Data:           2's complement, little endian
Version:        1 (current)
OS/ABI:         ARM
ABI Version:    0

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
rtl8150                13280  0
mct_u232               10596  0
usbserial              31120  1 mct_u232
usb_storage            36100  1
button_gpio             1504  1
fuse                   42004  0

...., and got microcom working so that I can get a serial console to my sun workstation :-)

# dmesg
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for MCT U232
usbcore: registered new driver mct_u232
drivers/usb/serial/mct_u232.c: Magic Control Technology USB-RS232 converter driver z2.0

# /var/ftp/MINIROOT/mybin/microcom -D/dev/ttyUSB0 

crusher console login: root
Password:
Last login: Mon Nov 30 23:29:01 on console
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
crusher /root 1# exit
crusher console login:

**********Help***********
  x - exit microcom
  b - send break
  l - log on             
  s - start script       
  t - set terminal
  q - quit help
Command:
#

...and the usb2ethernet RealTek's rtl8150 (eth1) is working as well:

# dmesg|tail
drivers/usb/net/rtl8150.c: rtl8150 based usb-ethernet driver v0.6.2 (2004/08/27)
usbcore: registered new driver rtl8150
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using str8131-ohci and address 4
usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
drivers/usb/net/rtl8150.c: eth%d: rtl8150 is detected

# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:D0:XX:XX:XX 
          inet addr:192.168.0.20  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:28359 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:17542 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2486073 (2.3 MiB)  TX bytes:2632181 (2.5 MiB)
          Base address:0x2000

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:60:XX:XX:XX 
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1540  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:85 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:85 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:7560 (7.3 KiB)  TX bytes:7560 (7.3 KiB)

I just got one of these devices for Christmas, I had the kids put it on my list because of the items like built in SSH etc.  Just wanted to say thanks to all for the work here.
After reading Bill's info as well I was starting to wonder if there are a couple types/builds out there as mine reads 64MB of ram.  This is with the latest firmware loading from their website.

$ uname -a
Linux FileServer 2.6.16-star #87 Fri Oct 23 15:02:54 CST 2009 armv4l unknown
$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        62116 kB
MemFree:         44064 kB
Buffers:           928 kB
Cached:           6664 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:           9048 kB
Inactive:         2108 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:        62116 kB
LowFree:         44064 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB
Dirty:               0 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:           5728 kB
Slab:             3348 kB
CommitLimit:     31056 kB
Committed_AS:     8012 kB
PageTables:        220 kB
VmallocTotal:   188416 kB
VmallocUsed:      2448 kB
VmallocChunk:   185968 kB
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : FA526id(wb) rev 1 (v4l)
BogoMIPS        : 191.69
Features        : swp half
CPU implementer : 0x66
CPU architecture: 4
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0x526
CPU revision    : 1
Cache type      : write-back
Cache clean     : cp15 c7 ops
Cache lockdown  : format B
Cache format    : Harvard
I size          : 8192
I assoc         : 2
I line length   : 16
I sets          : 256
D size          : 8192
D assoc         : 2
D line length   : 16
D sets          : 256

Hardware        : STAR STR8131
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000
$

I would really just like to get scp, rsync and a cron going on it, even if its using the executables off the local USB hard drive and not in the firmware myself.  Even 64MB should be able to handle that if I am judicious about libraries and careful in building it yes? I program in C++ (primarily Windows and MFC ) and have been using Linux for a while.  I have done a little cross platform to Palm CPU's and the Lego bricks a while back.  But time to go do some reading on uLibC and Buildroot.

Might have to pick up a second one from Fry's just because smile  Not that money is available to burn, but these could be fun to play with and would love to experiment more as Bill has shown in his article.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone!!

Hi Valenfor,

I got sftp-server working on the device after a minor hack to create a link in /usr/libexec/ to a wrapper to find the appropriate crypto/ssl libraries on my MINIROOT, i.e.:

$ ln -s /var/ftp/MINIROOT/mylib/sftp-server.wrapper /usr/libexec/sftp-server
$ cat /var/ftp/MINIROOT/mylib/sftp-server.wrapper
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/var/ftp/MINIROOT/mylib /var/ftp/MINIROOT/mylib/sftp-server

Btw, I've just ordered usb2ser from parallax.com (a bit pricy $20+10s/h) to get a serial console as Bill has shown in his post. Could someone please confirm if ftdi_sio in 2.6 kernels is the correct driver?

I've got the serial console working after some tries - bdkibler mentioned in his blog that connecting Vcc is not needed, but it didn't work for me without it - I had to solder a piece of 22AWG wire as pin 4. Now I connect using minicom and usbftdi(7d) on OpenSolaris:

<snip>
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Replace OK!
Replace OK!
Replace OK!

Welcome to tomalak (armv4l-Linux-2.6.16-star@ttyS0/b)
Starsemi ramdisk 1.0

Copyright (C) 2005 Starsemi ramdisk 1.0 
Released under GNU GPL
tomalak login:
Welcome to tomalak (armv4l-Linux-2.6.16-star@ttyS0/b)
Starsemi ramdisk 1.0

Copyright (C) 2005 Starsemi ramdisk 1.0 
Released under GNU GPL
tomalak login: sshadmin
Password:
Jan 21 22:22:06 login[17987]: root login on 'ttyS0'
# tty
/dev/ttyS0

I'm having an issue bringing up the second interface (eth1) regardless whether I use rtl8150 or asix/mii/usbnet, ifconfig just brickify the OS without anything getting spat out on the console. :-(

valenfor wrote:

After reading Bill's info as well I was starting to wonder if there are a couple types/builds out there as mine reads 64MB of ram.  This is with the latest firmware loading from their website.

$ uname -a
Linux FileServer 2.6.16-star #87 Fri Oct 23 15:02:54 CST 2009 armv4l unknown
$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        62116 kB
MemFree:         44064 kB

Wow. This is a 64-MB unit! Did you get your's from Fry's Electronics? If so, does the box has any special remarks to identify this product to have a 64-MB RAM? I am tempted to visit a local Fry's Electronics to get me one unit to run OpenWRT + FreeSwitch. The only thing that holds me back now is I don't see any support to run OpenWRT.

BTW, any more new hacks on this device?

Today, I went to a local Fry's Electronic store and picked up two units of this device for $30/each. I opened up the package, connected the device to my LAN, and found it has a capacity of 64MB RAM. Although the output from dmesg indicated the CPU was clocked @250MHz, cat /proc/cpuinfo only returned a 192.51 BogoMIPS. The top utility showed the load average was 2.88 (that's pretty high, AFAIC) on idle. After running for about one minute, the bottom of the box was pretty warm. I am sure one can make use of such heat to make a cup of yogurt. wink I left the device on for an hour with no activity and the device seemed to have maintained its temperature.

So, is anyone working to port OpenWRT to this device? I just 't wait to have mine running on OpenWRT.

bdkibler wrote:

Try http://www.kiblerelectronics.com/corner/ccii_11.html for how to connect a serial port and break into uboot.  It uses the Star/Cavium Networks cns2132/str8132.

Since I bought this device, I re-read your blog again on the above link. I wondered if you have managed to configure the U-boot on your device to load OS on an external USB partition. If so, can you please kindly let us know how to achieve that. Thanks.

Does anyone know what Target System should I choose to create an OpenWRT SDK for this device? This way, I can use the SDK to compile programs, i.e. asterisk, etc., to run on this device.

I am really interesting this device too. If some one successfully runs asterisk on this device, then I will buy too. This device is perfect for replacing NSLU2.

AFAIK, this device isn't supported under OpenWRT at the moment.

mazilo wrote:

I see Fry's Electronics has the Hitachi SimpleNET NAS Head USB 2.0 Portable Dongle - SNET onsale and am wondering if anyone knows this device is supported by OpenWRT. The current Table of Hardware list doesn't have this device listed.

What is the price of this device? I have searched for it but i cannot get it. How can i get it through online?

Palm Springs DUI Lawyer
Palm Springs DUI

(Last edited by jasonbill on 16 Dec 2010, 15:17)

jasonbill wrote:
mazilo wrote:

I see Fry's Electronics has the Hitachi SimpleNET NAS Head USB 2.0 Portable Dongle - SNET onsale and am wondering if anyone knows this device is supported by OpenWRT. The current Table of Hardware list doesn't have this device listed.

What is the price of this device? I have searched for it but i cannot get it. How can i get it through online?

At the time I posted here, it was onsale and the price was $29.99. Now, the price has gone back to $49.99. You can click the link on my post above to find out how to order from Fry's Electronics online store. If you have a local Fry's Electronics store nearby, you can also order online and have an option to pick up @ the nearby local store.

(Last edited by mazilo on 12 Oct 2010, 02:58)

Any new updates on this project to make an Hitachi SimpleNET to work with OpenWRT. Lately, I noticed OpenWRT has started to support for a Cavium Networks Econa CNS3xxx based boards. I am not sure if that will be compatible and work with the CNS21XX platform used by a Hitachi SimpleNET.

I just came back from a local Fry's Electronic s store and bought me a unit of Hitachi SimpleNET for $18.99. I know this device isn't as good and/or powerful as a Seagate DockStar. However, it has enough resources as shown here to host an Asterisk-1.8.x. With OpenWRT recently to support for a Cavium Networks Econa CNS3xxx based boards, perhaps efforts to support a CNS21XX platform used by a Hitachi SimpleNET won't be too much of a trouble. Afterall, its price, under $20, is really affordable these days, YMMV. I hope this will attract hackers here to start porting OpenWRT to this device.

I just purchased one of these on eBay for under $20! Imagine my surprise when I found out that there is preliminary work to support OpenWRT!!

As of this writing, it can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0446749480

Also, I'm not much of a programmer, but I know my way around Linux and OpenWRT. Would anybody care to post their work thus far? I would like to try it out on my unit.

garlicsalt2 wrote:

Also, I'm not much of a programmer, but I know my way around Linux and OpenWRT. Would anybody care to post their work thus far? I would like to try it out on my unit.

If you read the link provided on the 2-nd post (above), you will notice that the Hitachi SimpleNet NAS device is based on a CNS2132-250FP128-AEFF-G (STAR/Cavium Networks ARM922 device with MMU running at 250Mhz). If you execute make menuconfig, enabled the Advanced configuration options (for developers)->Show broken platforms / packages option, you will be able to select Target System->Cavium Networks Econa CNS21xx platform. What I don't know is if this is the same platform used by the Hitachi SimpleNet NAS device.

I also have some of Hitachi SimpleNet NAS devices. I notice my device runs very hot on its original firmware, especially if I lay it down on a flat surface with its power LED facing up. In this position, the CPU is facing down and making a contact to the aluminum foil (i.e., it is hanging on its Mobo) as seen here. As such, the collected heat can't get dissipated freely. The link stated that once the unit gets disassembled, it is almost impossible to put the aluminum foil back to make a contact with the CPU that can easily get over heated. For this, one will need to cut off some part of the enclosure to solder the serial PINs.

The discussion might have continued from here.