OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bonding

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

Does OpenWRT have bonding support? Also for the VLAN-switch of the WRT54GL?

I've the following situation: Two ethernet cables à 100MBit (in fact it's one cable with 8 wires but 100MBit ethernet just juses 4 so I've patched the two patchpanels to have 2 connectors). One one end there's a 3Com Superstack 4200, on the other end there's a OpenWRT.
My question is now if it's possible to aggregate 2 ports from the WRT with bonding in order to one to have 200MBit in sum.

Thank you very much in advance

best regards,
Niki

Based on hardware descriptions I have read, even if the software did the bonding, the total hardware capacity cannot achieve the aggregate 200 mbps data rate.  Even though there are multiple physical ports tied to a switch, the router has one interface into that switch.  So if you want to get 200 mbps into the router, I don't think it has that.

Possibly the switch part could handle an aggregate of 200 mbps where, for example, ports 1 and 2 are talking to ports 3 and 4.  But then, that's just 200 mbps between 2 external devices, which could have just been connected to each other.

Even if you could get 200 mbps into the router, then what would you do with it?  You can't send that much over wireless or WAN.

I would guess they do not have a separate switch and would like to have the additional bandwidth between two devices on the internal vlan.  If they were just connected together, they would need three network cards to keep internet access and 200mbps links, unless they were gigabit.  I would just suggest buying a gigabit switch and get it over with.  If you are planning to route the traffic or firewall it in some way, Skapare is right in that the performance limitations of the WRT will not allow 200mbps to pass through the processor anyway.

Hi, Niki.

I tried to do bonding with whr-g54s/kamikaze-2.4 a couple of months ago. It was possible.
You'd mind, some modes work well, others don't. For example, balance-rr(mode 0) was OK but balance-tlb(mode 5) was NG. Because balance-tlb requires that each interface has each mac address. So balance-tlb worked well when I tried it on pc engine wrap.1e-2.
http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap1e203.htm

I'm sorry to have already forgotten about details. Anyway, why don't you try it?

regards,

zukky

yapoo wrote:

Hi, Niki.

I tried to do bonding with whr-g54s/kamikaze-2.4 a couple of months ago. It was possible.
You'd mind, some modes work well, others don't. For example, balance-rr(mode 0) was OK but balance-tlb(mode 5) was NG. Because balance-tlb requires that each interface has each mac address. So balance-tlb worked well when I tried it on pc engine wrap.1e-2.
http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap1e203.htm

I'm sorry to have already forgotten about details. Anyway, why don't you try it?

regards,

zukky

I  am also finding some method to configure it , but without any. So would mind saying  something about that on kamikaze?

Hi, huasion.

What device do you use?
Have you already installed ifenslave?

yapoo wrote:

Hi, huasion.

What device do you use?
Have you already installed ifenslave?

Hi,yapoo

I use alix 3d2 testbed running kamikaze 8.09.  I have installed ifenslave and it works. I just can not find out where to config bonding driver. I need to know and handle the mode , rate control and so on while I haven't found out the config file on my route's filesystem.
Do you have any suggestion? Thanks !

The discussion might have continued from here.