OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: wlan wont work

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hi folks
ive got some problems with the wlan-function on my whole new WRT54GL...

with the original drivers everything works fine both the stock and the newest firmware. so i first tried to install openwrt and (some hours later) it worked - except the wlan, which wont work (as i allready wrote). anything else works seems to work fine but as im dependent on wlan ive got no benefits from this. the only difference between 2.4 and 2.6 kernel is the wlan-LED: with 2.4 its active, with 2.6 inactive.

so i tried the same with x-wrt (its not a fork, i know...) but issues keep pretty much the same (regarding wlan)...

theres no difference if i use WEP, WPA or any other setting - my WRT54GL isnt sending out any (wlan) signals. anyone out there who possibly know why? smile

(yeah, my english isnt the best. complaints address to my teachers tongue)

After a fresh openwrt install, wireless is disabled, by default.
Are you sure, you did activate it?

klar, hab ich wink
--
indeed im a hundred percent sure! the first i did was to put radio on - afterwards i de- and reactivated it every single time i flashed the router with a new firmware. as written above with the 2.4 kernels the wlan-LED was active but the router didnt send any signals out. and ive tested it not with the crappy windows wlan-stack which accidently didnt show me the signals, there really wasnt any signal from the box... sad

(Last edited by waldi_x on 24 May 2009, 21:30)

*push* smile

*push* sad

i am also getting the same problem the wireless lan is not sending out any signal.

edit: ver 8.09 latest at time of post.

the problem happens under 2.6.

seems to be working fine under 2.4.

WRT54GL

(Last edited by Lloydy on 30 May 2009, 14:17)

exactly - 2.4 is working fine, just 2.6 doesnt work...

Show your wireless config. Is anything in dmesg? Is hostapd installed and running? What kind of encryption is used? What happens if you run "wifi"? What is displayed by iwconfig? ...

~ JoW

wlan does not work for mee too on wrt54gl with current head / kernel 2.6. this is because b43 does not load. dmesg:

b43: Unknown symbol input_allocate_polled_device
b43: Unknown symbol input_free_polled_device
b43: Unknown symbol input_event
b43: Unknown symbol input_register_polled_device
b43: Unknown symbol input_unregister_polled_device

greetz
sven

(Last edited by gong on 30 May 2009, 23:59)

Hi everybody,

I'm pretty new to all this... have some experience with Linux, Routing, Masq, Networking... so I tried two days ago to set up my WRT54GL with the Kamikaze 8.09... as described at http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs( … T54GL.html

I first installed 2.4 Kernel and did the NVRAM...
Than I upgraded to 2.6 Kernel, but as posted the Wireless Lan is not working (wl0 is not presented in ifconfig)...
Downgrading to 2.4 Kernel and everything is working fine...

I used the latest available download (for both Kernel versions)... Is 2.6 not working wit Wireless on WRT54GL...

Could someone just make this point clear for me smile... Or could someone describe a little bit more detailed what to do to make 2.6 work with WRT54GL?

Thanks

Even with 2.4 Kernel, Kamikaze does not make use of NVRAM.

Well I don't know what:

Even with 2.4 Kernel, Kamikaze does not make use of NVRAM.

means for the wireless problem... but at least I can use the nvram command with Kernel 2.4 and not with 2.6 (there it says: nvram unknown command)...

But I found my mistake using 2.6 and wireless by reading further post about wireless and WRT54GL... when you refalsh to 2.6 you have to unmark the checkbox "Keep configuration...", cause the wl0 device does not exist anymore... After reflashing to Kamikaze 8.09 (with Kernel 2.6) from http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09/brcm47xx/ I just ask myself know is that the best choice? There are so many post with different opinions about this... should I maybe use the snapshot? Or maybe 2.4?

jow wrote:

Try reverting https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/16143 (or re-enable with make kernel_menuconfig)

ok, reverting the changeset makes b43 load again but somehow the driver is unable to load the firmware though it is available (see below). dmesg:

b43-phy0: Broadcom 5352 WLAN found (core revision 9)
cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: US
        (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
        (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2700 mBm)
        (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 1700 mBm)
        (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
        (5490000 KHz - 5710000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
        (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 3000 mBm)
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel'
Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PLR, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]
RPC: Registered udp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input0
b43 ssb0:3: firmware: requesting b43/ucode5.fw
b43 ssb0:3: firmware: requesting b43-open/ucode5.fw
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not found
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dri … cefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.
device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
input: b43-phy0 as /devices/virtual/input/input1
b43 ssb0:3: firmware: requesting b43/ucode5.fw

root@wlan4:/# ls /lib/firmware/b43/
b0g0bsinitvals5.fw  b0g0initvals5.fw    pcm5.fw             ucode5.fw

Jogilein wrote:

unmark the checkbox "Keep configuration..."

doenst work for me. in fact there is no difference for me when flashing from 2.4 to 2.6 kernels - my config remains no matter if i set to keep the config or not. perhaps this is quite part of the problem...?!

waldi_x wrote:
Jogilein wrote:

unmark the checkbox "Keep configuration..."

doenst work for me. in fact there is no difference for me when flashing from 2.4 to 2.6 kernels - my config remains no matter if i set to keep the config or not. perhaps this is quite part of the problem...?!

Sounds like a problem... Cause the configuration is quite different... the wireless device is renamed in 2.6 so that the configuration of 2.4 cannot work... so 2.4 works for you and if you check ifconfig (or iwconfig) you'll get wl0 as interface?

In 2.6 you should have three interfaces checking ifconfig (or iwconfig)... the wlan0, wmaster0 and mon.wlan0... I don't know how to force the system to flash also the configuration for sure... maybe someone else can help in this case???

So after testing wireless connection with 2.6 I have to say:

It works... but stable is different... in the beginning it works fine, but if you use it over a while the connection quality gets worse and worse...

So I'm thinking about to use 2.4 again... and hopefully wireless will work better!

no solution yet hmm

With kamikaze 8.09.1 the mac80211 and b43 package was removed, because it was relay unstable and outdated.

If someone want to use kernel 2.6 with boradcom wireless, please use trunk, it is much more stable.

The discussion might have continued from here.