OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [howto] Running Kamikaze (x86-2.6) on VMware

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Apr 2018 and 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I cant get network working properly..

VMWare has created 2 new eth on my host.. vmnet1 and vmnet8

I have tried to set ethernet0.connectionType on nat and brigded without success, guess doesnt see host and viceversa..

What should I do?

elect86 wrote:

I cant get network working properly..
VMWare has created 2 new eth on my host.. vmnet1 and vmnet8
I have tried to set ethernet0.connectionType on nat and brigded without success, guess doesnt see host and viceversa..
What should I do?

You can lean both ifaces on "bridged"  and you have adapt the IP of the iface you will use to access openwrt so that it fits your network.

In my case:

config interface lan
        option ifname   eth0
        option type     bridge
        option proto    static
        # Set here a non used IP on your network
        option ipaddr   192.168.0.10
        option netmask  255.255.255.0

# your gw and DNS if you want the net access
        option dns      192.168.0.1
        option gateway  192.168.0.1

Tex

(Last edited by Tex-Twil on 11 Apr 2008, 12:26)

I have a small problem. I created the openWrt virtual machine using VMware on Windows XP. I can connect to it using Putty and the serial line "\\.\pipe\com_1". What I don't manage to do is to open the web internet inteface in my browser. Can some one give me some help on what should I do to be able to see it? Thank you for your time.

peerLAN wrote:

I have a small problem. I created the openWrt virtual machine using VMware on Windows XP. I can connect to it using Putty and the serial line "\\.\pipe\com_1". What I don't manage to do is to open the web internet inteface in my browser. Can some one give me some help on what should I do to be able to see it? Thank you for your time.

what is the ip of your openwrt interface ? can you ping it ?

I can't... The vm Image doesn't seem to see the network card. Ifconfig shows me just the local loopback "lo", and no eth0. Is there something I'm missing, the internet doesn't works inside the virtual machine.

Edit: the ip for lan is  192.168.1.1 but when I use ifup lan i receive this error: SIOGGIFFLAGS: No such device ; SIOCSIFADDR: No such device.

(Last edited by peerLAN on 30 Jun 2008, 10:12)

Ok, I fixed my problem. I build my own image, and it works now. The image in wiki seemed to lack some drivers. Good luck.

peerLAN wrote:

Ok, I fixed my problem. I build my own image, and it works now. The image in wiki seemed to lack some drivers. Good luck.

I spent almost 2 days to figure out the eth0 interface problem was with the image provided in the wiki. If only I had read this chain earlier.

Would it not be prudent to edit the OpenWrt VMWare wiki with the right image file.

Just to share the steps that I had to follow:
1. Build x86 image using Generic profile and built in e1000 kernel module
2. Configure VMWare interfaces VMNET1 to hostonly (xxx.xxx.xxx.1  /  255.255.255.0) and VMNET8 to NAT
3. Edit the following parameters provided in VM config file (.vmx )
    ethernet0.connectiontype = "nat"
    ethernet1.connectiontype = "hostonly"
4. Bring up VM Ware with this config file ensuring the image file (.vmdk) is in the same path as the config file.
5. After booting up Openwrt, change /etc/config/network lan interface to belong in the same subnet as VMNET1 (xxx.xxx.xxx.2)

After these steps I could bring up multiple VMPlayer sessions and have ip connectivity between each of them.

I'm really stumped by this...

My host is Windows XP, my client is a self-built VMware image of the latest trunk.
On my host I have 3 connections:

- Local Area Connection: 10.46.0.29/255.255.252.0
- VMware Network Adapter VMnet8: 192.168.15.1/255.255.255.0
- VMware Network Adapter VMnet1: 192.168.195.1/255.255.255.0

Now in the VMplayer image I have 2 network connections:

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet1.connectionType = "hostonly"
ethernet1.virtualDev = "e1000"

My network configuration file looks like this:

config interface loopback
    option ifname    lo
    option proto    static
    option ipaddr    127.0.0.1
    option netmask    255.0.0.0

config interface lan
    option type     bridge
    option ifname    "eth1 eth2"
    option proto    static
    option ipaddr    192.168.1.1
    option netmask    255.255.255.0

config interface wan
    option ifname    eth0
    option proto    dhcp

Now I end up with the following structures inside the VMware:

- br-lan: 192.168.195.2/255.255.255.0
- eth0: 192.168.195.128/255.255.255.0
- eth1: up, but no IP
- lo: 127.0.0.1

The issue now is that I can't ping even 192.168.195.1 (the VMware "dhcp server" where I got the IP from!)...
I can't connect inside nor outside...

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

By looking at your configuration:

br-lan is bridged to eth1 (vmware) which is bridged to Vmnet1 (which should be configured as hostonly interface)

Ideally you should have got another interface
==> br-wan bridged to eth0 (vmware) which should ideally be bridged to NAT VMNET8 (vmnet8 could be bridged to the NIC card)

You might be able to get br-wan up if you add the option type as bridge. This is assuming you would utilize this interface to connect to the NIC. You could specifically configure br-lan to eth1.

Coming to your issue, it could be mainly due to the ambiguity of two interfaces residing in the same subnet. I am speaking more from experience than any logic, but seems like the packets are not routed to the right interface. In your case it should have been routed to eth1, presence of two interfaces in the same subnet creates a confusion.

So a quick check would be to perform : ifconfig eth0 down

Thanks Karthik,

1) How do you know br-lan is bridged to eth1? I thought "eth1 eth2" means a bridge from eth1 to eth2 (although I don't have an interface 2)... I didn't quite understood that.

2) I did something now, and now eth0 is 192.168.15.133/255.255.255.0. It seems now I can ping to outside...

And I found my error.

For everyone in the same situation:

iptables -F
iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT

This is NOT a secure situation, but you can easily test with it! What it does is clear out all the firewall rules, and add one that allows all incoming traffic (outgoing traffic is allowed already by default).

Thanks smile

I've just built the vmware of OpenWRT 8.09 svn. Anyone interested ? wink

Tex-Twil wrote:

Yes! big_smile

Could you upload it somewhere? Thanks

Thank you anyway, but I'll try to build it myself... I may learn something smile

Tex-Twil wrote:

Thanks a lot!

BTW, I'm trying to run an Asterisk on your build, but there's a problem that I described here: http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=79149
Not sure if it's related to VMWare.

I just added a quick hack to the wiki page to create a secondary disk to install the kmod-e1000 driver without building the image yourself.

gregular wrote:

I just added a quick hack to the wiki page to create a secondary disk to install the kmod-e1000 driver without building the image yourself.

I used Ubuntu live cd into the VMware image, mounted /dev/sda2 and copied the driver in there in a /temp directory (do not forget chmod 666 for copied files smile). However, i found that driver kmod-pcnet32 works without any configurations for virtual network cards of VMware 6.5.
If there is someone interested my Kamikaze OpenWRT VMware image x-wrt-x86-8.09RC2 build Jan2009 (5.6Mb .zip file) for windows version of VMware 6.5 with network, USB and SCSI support is here: http://www.esnips.com/doc/90ac90fb-4a89 … 2-8.09_RC2 (http port of web interface: 10000, user:pass : root:admin). I also installed MC, Shorewall firewall, OpenVPN.

(Last edited by adrianio on 18 Feb 2009, 09:51)

Hi everyone,

I do not know whether it is just because of  my bad network or other problems, I can not open the wiki about: http://wiki.openwrt.org/RunningKamikazeOnQEMUHowTo

would you like to tell me how to build my own image and run Kamikaze?

thank a lot!

Hi all
I am running Kamikaze in VmWare server 2.0 as well as it was declared at the links:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/RunningKamikazeOnVMwareHowTo

but when i want to see one binary file it was interepted and from that time my image was susbended and i could not acced to my image .
so when i want  to acced to my openwrt image i got this message:

"Power On Virtual Machine" failed to complete
If these problems persist, please contact your system administrator.
Details
VMware Server unrecoverable error: (vmx) Unexpected signal: 11. A log file is available in "/tmp/vmware-root/10352.log". Please request support and include the contents of the log file. To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly. We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

other wise i could not fiend the links that i use before to install my image ;;
So could any help me to see if i could fiend new links which will help me to install a new image or How could i correct my image.. thinks

the links to the wiki dows not works....

Hello,
Does anybody know, how to make openwrt run from scsi disk under VmWare? I'm going to use it in ESX server.

Thank you in advance, Dmitry

albgen wrote:

the links to the wiki dows not works....

Use Google like this:
foobar site:oldwiki.openwrt.org

Hi,

How  do i  configure 3G USB  using OpenWRT. What is connectivitiy between 3G USB and WiFi.

How 3G routes the packet to WiFi device.

please help me out.

Thanks & Regards,
G Siva Prakash Reddy.

Hello,
I am a DD-WRT user, I am running under Windows 2008 Hyper-V.
The current version of DD-WRT (r10020) has a serious security flaw and I need to upgrade.
I can't upgrade to newer build of DD-WRT becuase it will kenel-panic on boot from Hyper-V.
So I decided to instead move to OpenWrt, (I been reading that DD-WRT is not very GPL friendly)
I managed to boot the image, but I can't the NIC up.
I made sure that all kmod-e1000 plus more are installed in the image, still does not want to start network.

Any ideas, please help, thanks,

Oscar

I just finished a port of VMware's open-vm-tools to Kamikaze 8.09 (as part of a work project).  It mostly involved hacking out the X11 and some glibc requirements.  I'm running OpenWRT on ESX 4.0.
At this point i've validated that vmware-guestd runs and I can use vmrun (the cli tool using the VIX libraries) and vSphere (VIC) to do things to it (like execute arbitrary commands, read the primary ip address and hostname, etc).
I haven't tried to get the hgfsmounter to work or the vmxnet ethernet drivers yet.  The latter I'll be working on, the former I don't really care about.  At any rate, I thought someone else using OpenWRT on vmware might be interested in this work to date and might want to help me finish out parts of it (like the hgfsmounter) that I don't plan on investing any real time into.
PM me if you're interested.

The discussion might have continued from here.