OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DD-WRT vs. OpenWrt

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Which is better and why?

Some projects I would like to do that might help with providing a recommendation.

Would like to pickup an existing wireless networks signal and rebroadcast it for private use (don't have control over existing wireless networks router). In that case I think I need one product to pickup the signal and have an ethernet cable going to another product to rebroadcast it.

Another project is to cover a church with wireless coverage. Would like it if I could have a multiple access points with only one plugged into the internet. Also it would be nice if I could restrict wireless access from accessing the internal network that the wireless router is connected to.

Another project is to cover a ski resort with wireless access (resort, not the mountain). Internet connection is coming in via satellite connection. Right now there is a directional antenna pointing towards the cabins (which are all in a row going away from the internet source) however the signal doesn’t reach past the first couple of cabins. Would like to extend this signal to cover all cabins. Also the resort has a campground on the other side and it would be nice to cover that with wireless someday.

Would like to get wireless internet setup at another ski resort that has nothing but an AP covering the main building. Also has a campground acrost the river.

Would like to get an internet connection at the baseball field that is less than ½ mile from my house so we can post stats, live video feed, etc.
Would like to startup a wireless mesh in my neighborhood someday.

I think that is all my dream projects.

this is openwrt forum so don't expect a subjective opinion ... openwrt is better as it enjoys more developers, has probably the largest community/user base and offers the largest multiplatform capability.

(Last edited by acoul on 27 Dec 2008, 15:53)

Totally expecting everyone on here to suggestion OpenWrt just looking for reasons why it is better.

Go read "The Cathedral & The Bazaar" by Eric Raymond then you will understand.

DD-WRT is more like Cathedral.  Has prettier interface but dependent on the priests.
Ultimately DD-WRT veers around depending on direction of Pope BrainSlayer.

OpenWRT is more Bazaar project.  Lots of people working on deep infrastructure projects that interest them.
OpenWRT is more open but less organized.

Depends on your interest. DD-WRT does not offer full source and is not interested in working with outside developers.

I really wish I could get openwrt to work on my router (different topic - wrt350n v1.1) - but I can't so I'm stuck with DD-WRT at the moment.

DD-WRT isn't bad - and if you aren't interested in customizing your setup in very big ways, it's good. The CLI stuff on it seems to be a bit twisted - and openWRT's command-line stuff seems to match normal linux stuff a lot better...

I want to use openWRT because (I think) it is relatively easy (once you know what you are doing) to build your own custom images with just the stuff you want on them (in my case, I want a usb-enabled version that has hfs+ filesystem support compiled in and UPNP / DAAP / and  Samba servers on it - don't know how long it will take me to get that far)

X-wrt seems to be aiming for a happy medium - but I haven't looked into it all that much. I presume if you have a router that is well supported on x-wrt that it would work well.

If you have to ask, I'd recommend dd-wrt. tongue

It is a lot of fun building custom images with OpenWRT for your routers/firewalls/gateways, though I have found the images produced by dd-wrt are often well trimmed for most router's small flash chips. I have also found the DD-WRT builds generally more reliable, this is why I would have to vote for DD-WRT but I would suggest you try OpenWRT first.

What I HATE about DD-WRT are the forums which are filled with rude and intolerant moderators as well as posters who should have spent a few minutes in the wiki before posting stupid questions making the moderators even more intolerant. Also having to pay for "professional" licenses so that you can get access to USB Storage and raise your maximum allowable connections, when a similar addition/mod on ANY linux distro is free.

If you are going for x86 builds I would suggest IPFIRE (About to release 3.0) or IPCop (Just released 2.x), I didin't enjoy the BSD monowall or pfsense OS's (iptables > pf). You could also try ClearOS if you want something really heavy for a higher end x86 or x86_64 computer.

Try and compile your own build of dd-wrt, or install packages on atheros platforms.

arokh wrote:

Try and compile your own build of dd-wrt, or install packages on atheros platforms.

Mission: Impossible.

You cannot compile recent dd-wrt builds with all functionality, only retro builds.
They have said that people were making custom dd-wrt firmware, flashing devices and marketing their wares under the dd-wrt brand, which is what dd-wrt does; if you happen to visit their store you will see it for sale.
I have seen other tools around that will let you take apart their prebuilt images and put them back together with added functionality though I'm pretty sure the images would end up unnecessarily large.

There are a lot of reasons to migrate from DD-WRT to OpenWRT if you were to ask folks here. OTOH, folks on DD-WRT will tell you otherwise.

I came from DD-WRT world. I must admit that its firmware has a much nicer GUI, but lacks functionality. To me, this isn't good. For a few years, I had used both together, i.e. a Linksys WRT54GS v3 with DD-WRT as my main router, some Linux embedded devices with OpenWRT, etc. I have used OpenWRT since 2007 to run asterisk on a LaFonera FON2100 device. At the time, I had to choose between them. I decided to go with OpenWRT and never feel regret of my decision. Then, I have completely migrated to OpenWRT two years later on, IIRC. Now, my main router is a Netgear WGT634U and some Linux embedded systems are connected behind it. All of them are now running on a self-built OpenWRT firmware with a single source for multi platforms. With DD-WRT, this is almost an impossible task to achieve.

I like OpenWRT for a number of reasons. I can build the firmware from ground up, including the cross compilers -- something DD-WRT isn't capable of doing, IIRC. This makes OpenWRT not dependent on any 3-rd party cross compilers (SDK), but can be configured to use them, too.

To summarize all, OpenWRT is more flexible with more functionality (more software programs). At any rate, one will need to spend some times to migrate from one place/system to another in order to feel comfortable with the new surroundings/systems and this is not an exception.

dd-wrt has considerably superior gui interface,

OpenWRT is really like making your own OS on your own Router you really own the device.
Of course you have to be very comfortable with console for that to happen.

I'm surprised that someone said that OpenWRT has better compatibility. I always found that something that OpenWRT doesn't like (like Broadcom or VXWorks) just won't be covered. So for the longest time I have DD-WRT on my WRT600N and a VXWorks WRT54G that I picked up for 2$ at a second-hand store. But maybe OpenWRT is better at covering less mass-market devices.

You may also have to futz with OpenWRT in order to get some of the latest-greatest wireless options. Which means you might end up having to compile the firmware. DD-WRT doesn't really have a problem enabling that by default.

But DD-WRT has a lot of magic where you have to re-flash multiple times and make the right incantations for it to work. If you ever get into command line configurations or package installation you will be sorely disappointed with DD-WRT.

I also never got the impression DD-WRT was the most efficient with device or the most reliable. But that might be leftover impression from years ago. I want to be able to leave the router running without intervention indefinitely. Which is what you are planning on doing to (?).

(Last edited by napierzaza on 22 Dec 2011, 15:12)

wtf ddwrt is total crap it's total shit. openwrt is the best it has best packages and system that let's you build images by yourself  while ddwrt does not let you do neither and you have to sway according to whims of the developer where your kept in the dark of opensource software and asked to pay for stuff that is not even entirely there's thosE who say ddwrt is great are cock sucker's who like sucking ddwrt developer cock to get stuff........

sash : everyone knows your brainslayers bitch: GO STROKE HIS SHAFT CRADLE HIS BALL'S AND SWALLOW THE GRAVY FAGGOT

(Last edited by drekthar on 22 Dec 2011, 18:50)

Dear Drekthar

Every member of the OpenWrt forum is always welcome to express personal views on topics which are being discussed. BUT, there are certain limits! It is not acceptable to use the kind of language you have just indulged yourself in.

The current etiquette of the OpenWrt forum does not accept the use of racist, sexist nor abusive language. I will kindly advice you to refrain from doing this again!
It is my hope that you will understand this, also in respect to your future conduct - and as a result of this understanding offer your apologies to napierzaza.

Sincerely

Gregers Petersen
OpenWrt Relationshipmanager

glp wrote:

Dear Drekthar

Every member of the OpenWrt forum is always welcome to express personal views on topics which are being discussed. BUT, there are certain limits! It is not acceptable to use the kind of language you have just indulged yourself in.

The current etiquette of the OpenWrt forum does not accept the use of racist, sexist nor abusive language. I will kindly advice you to refrain from doing this again!
It is my hope that you will understand this, also in respect to your future conduct - and as a result of this understanding offer your apologies to napierzaza.

Sincerely

Gregers Petersen

oh, I know now how to get devs attention here

DD-WRT has much better PR (public relations) than OpenWrt. E.g. cf.:

google.com: "Linux+Router"
google.com: "Router+Software"
google.de: "Linux+Router"
google.hu: "linux+útválasztó"

EN: http://stats.grok.se/en/201112/OpenWrt
EN: http://stats.grok.se/en/201112/DD-WRT
DE: http://stats.grok.se/de/201112/OpenWrt
DE: http://stats.grok.se/de/201112/DD-WRT
ES: http://stats.grok.se/es/201112/OpenWrt
ES: http://stats.grok.se/es/201112/DD-WRT
HU: none available
EL:  none available, though there is a greek community

http://i18n.luci.subsignal.org/pootle

* There is a TON of outdated howtos reagarding OpenWrt in the Internet:
spanisch: http://www.lugro-mesh.org.ar/wiki/Softw … do#OpenWrt
english:  http://www.foosel.org/linux/openwrt  (NVRAM???)
german: http://wiki.freifunk.net/Hauptseite and http://wiki.funkfeuer.at/index.php/Hauptseite

IMHO there are a lot of misconceptions about OpenWrt, like that is it not suited for beginners, which is complete bullshit!!! Or that you must use the command-line, which is also bullshit. As long as you WANT to learn how stuff works, OpenWrt is GREATLY suited for beginners.

It is true that you should not expect much support in the OpenWrt Forum for beginner questions, but since this is Linux you can ask your beginner questions in ANY Linux forum and port knowledge/solutions back and forth.

OpenWrt is not suited for people who choose to remain stupid, so much is true.

IMHO OpenWrt suffered under the lack of a beginner friendly wiki, a problem I tried to solve. If you disagree, make it better, if you agree, spread the word. This Forum does not offer much help for beginners, but OpenWrt IS suited for beginners. Just need to be willing to learn a bit.

OpenWrt has more developers, and I would also argue that the developers are more competent. In DD-WRT you see a lot of OpenWrt patches and modifications integrated. Not so much in the other direction...

Plus, the OpenWrt buildroot makes me cream my pants. Downloading sources, patching them, etc... It's very nice. DD-WRT has every single source file under revision control. Wait for it... :facepalm: Have fun upgrading to the latest Linux kernel with that mess...

(Last edited by aport on 23 Dec 2011, 01:22)

OpenWRT is a lot better. Once you know your way around building you own image (which is quite easy), you'll realize it true power in customization. It turn your router into a small computer which you can install many many application that suit your project/purpose and remove others you don't want. I got to admit that wiki is a bit unorganized but if you search hard enough, the info is there. If you're comfortable with console, it's a lot easier than dd-wrt anyway.

My 2 cent.

drekthar wrote:

wtf ddwrt is total crap it's total shit. openwrt is the best it has best packages and system that let's you build images by yourself  while ddwrt does not let you do neither and you have to sway according to whims of the developer where your kept in the dark of opensource software and asked to pay for stuff that is not even entirely there's thosE who say ddwrt is great are cock sucker's who like sucking ddwrt developer cock to get stuff........

sash : everyone knows your brainslayers bitch: GO STROKE HIS SHAFT CRADLE HIS BALL'S AND SWALLOW THE GRAVY FAGGOT

glp wrote:

Dear Drekthar

Sincerely

Gregers Petersen

lol... glp Relationshipmanager is a job well suited for you ...... and yes i will keep my mouth shut now onwards !!!!!!!

(Last edited by drekthar on 24 Dec 2011, 20:11)

The discussion might have continued from here.