OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: VLANs on AR7 and Marvell

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi.

I have Aztec DSL600EW with Marvell 88E6060 switch. How can I setup VLANs on it?

I tried following configuration:

config switch eth0
        option vlan0    "0 1 2 3 5*"
        option vlan1    "4 5"

config interface wan
        option ifname   eth0.1
        option proto    dhcp

config interface lan
        option ifname   eth0.0
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   192.168.1.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.0

But, after reboot I cannot ping or connect to router through any port.

Regards.

--
Booboo

AR7 devices are generally ADSL modems attached to a gateway.  Why is your wan interface on eth0.1, and not ppp0 or nas0?

Next...  Assuming the switch supports VLANs, the code you copies is for a 6 port switch; this one only has 5 (4 external, one internal).

What are you trying to do with vlans?

I have read that Marvell 88E6060 is a six port switch with port base VLANs on Marvell's site.

I just wanted to know if it is possible and how with this switch, cause I would like to connect this router to cable modem in future or to have DMZ.

Yes, you would use vlans, but only 5 ports are connected, so the config will be different than most routers.  I never set up switch based vlans on my router, so I'm not sure if they made a driver for it or not.  nbd might know.

Hi!

Any success with setting vlan`s?? I`m interested if it works, because i`m owner of sx541 which is based on ar7 and the same marvell switch. But now openwrt is stil in WiP on my box so i cannot check this b my self, but it would be nice to know that it can route between ethernet port`s separeted by vlan`s (not only from adsl to ethernet).

Waiting for good news,
Krzysztof

Hi.

I have got bad news. It will not work, I thing.

OpenWRT VLAN is IEEE 802.1Q based and Marvell 88E6060 does not support IEEE 802.1Q VLANs. Therefor, when settings VLAN in config, CPU sends tagged frames through switch, which does not understand tagged frames and transmit them directly to host on all ports. The host does not expect tagged frames and ignore them.

The conditions to have VLANs working with this switch are two switch ports connected to CPU (I don't thing it's possible) and driver for switch (this is possible).

Alternative: connect external switch that understands tagged frames (but this doesn't make sense).

Am I correct?

--
Booboo

With the new mvswitch drivers available in trunk how do we test with AR7?
I tried enabling it with "CONFIG_MVSWITCH_PHY=y" but mvswitch.o was not built.  Will it take some more coding changes or is it as simple as adding a few more config options?

I've submitted a driiver for the 88E6060 (and other switch models) to the linux netdev mailing list.

For now this driver just exposes every port as a separate Linux network interface, and when I'm done with it, it'll transparently configure the switch to do bridging in hardware if you configure a software bridge instance.

Hi buytenh,

I'm using Kamikaze7.09 + Marvell chipset.

I tried 

config switch eth0
        option vlan0    "0 1 2 3 5*"
        option vlan1    "4 5"

config interface wan
        option ifname   eth0.1
        option proto    'dhcp'

config interface lan
        option ifname   eth0.0
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   192.168.1.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.0

But it doesn't seems to work.

Is my configuration has some problem?
Please guide to setup VLAN.

Thanks In advance.

-Sharad

Following this previous thread,  It doesn't work for me either.

As of OpenWRT 10.3.1rc3 (and rc4), the ar7 switch drivers have been enabled in the kernel, apparently.
The result seems to be that only one of the 4 ethernet ports work, out of the box!
No means I have found seems to work for reconfiguring the switch...

On OpenWRT 10.3 and 10.3.1rc2, all is fine (at least, using all 4 ports on a single vlan)...

Currently waiting to see if any developers or users write back to my mails on the subject of the above issue.

The discussion might have continued from here.