OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kamikaze + Wl500G premium + vpn pass through = crash

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

first - i've tried to search in bugs, but could not find something similar (maybe overlooked?) The only thing i found is https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/9285 but my crashes are not random.

Hardware:
Kamikaze 7.09 2.4.34
Asus WL-500g premium
All latest packages

Setup:

Internet <---> asus (openwrt) <--- wireless ---> laptop.

Problem:

When connecting from laptop to a microsoft vpn (setup at my office, on another linux box)  everything seems to be working fine.
When disconnecting - openwrt crashes.

Is this a known bug, if not - where should i start looking? Had no problems like this with white russian.

I had the same problems with an old version from trunk some time ago. I solved it by switching from pptp to openvpn. If you have a linux server, this should be no problem at all.

MMCM wrote:

I had the same problems with an old version from trunk some time ago. I solved it by switching from pptp to openvpn. If you have a linux server, this should be no problem at all.

Old version of what? It seems that i'm runing the latest kamikaze? Or am i missing something

About switching to openvpn - that is another, offtopic discussion, and it was not what i asked for wink

It is a known problem, see tickets #571 and #1742.
I don't know if it works with a 2.6 Kernel (but that one has other problems, like swap not working).
The only workaround known to me is using whiterussian.

meska wrote:

Old version of what? It seems that i'm runing the latest kamikaze? Or am i missing something

About switching to openvpn - that is another, offtopic discussion, and it was not what i asked for wink

I don't use the prebuilt kamikaze image, I check out the latest code via "svn co" and build my own images. Since my test was some time ago, it was based on now outdated code, and those problems/bugs may have been fixed. Maybe ;-)

Those problems are not fixed as of 10/1/2008 (svn trunk). Unfortunately this is the only thing that is preventing me from using openwrt, since i rely on pptp vpn connections a lot.

Now i really wonder why the developers, instead of fixing fundamental flaws like this, would begin work on porting openwrt to other platforms like the OLPC. After all isn't openwrt a router OS?

/edit
I know i shouldn't be demanding things, but the bug has been around for more than half a year. It is extremely frustrating since it was first reported more than a year ago for white russian, and while it was fixed then, it broke again in kamikaze.

(Last edited by cruciz on 13 Jan 2008, 04:44)

Hi,

will this work when switching to 2.6 Kernel?

What will not work with this kernel?

Best
rema

rema wrote:

will this work when switching to 2.6 Kernel?

Yes, closing a PPTP connection won't crash the router anymore with 2.6.

rema wrote:

What will not work with this kernel?

Wireless.
Unless you replace it with an 2.6 supported chip, e.g. atheros (Well, you can try to use the b43 driver, but don't expect too much - it's still quite unstable and might not work at all).

ok, this means if i update to 2.6 i won't have wlan anymore :-(

Is openswan working in 2.6 ?

Best
rema

The discussion might have continued from here.