OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Soekris net5501

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Anybody who's using Kamikaze on a Soekris net5501?

it looks similar to alix1c.  You may check for some fresh builds for it here

Yes it is also my impression that the Alix and Soekris are relatively similar, same cpu types etc. Except the Soekris net5501 has no VGA but four Via nic's instead.

Should probably have been more specific with my question from the beginning. I have a Soekris net5501 with a 500 Mhz AMD cpu and 512 MB RAM, and I wanted to build a new image for x86, from trunk, and wanted to know if anybody had encountered oddities with this board (of the kind which could be solved with changes in "make menuconfig" configuration)?
My basic assumption is that the installation itself is as simple as dd'ing the image (with its three components) onto a CF-Card and then boot the board from that.

Chz

Hi,
I have just tried to run kamikaze on a soerkris net5501.
I can get serial cosole, but no eth working.
I think the via eth driver is missing... Is there a way to rebuild kamikaze with the missing drivers ?

Thanks.

Hi KiaZ,

I'm fairly new to this myself, so I'm sure there's a better way to do this (but here I go anyways).

Run "make menuconfig", go into "Kernel modules"-->"Network Devices", and select "kmod-via-rhine" twice (so it shows an asterisk).\
Exit out, save the config and re-run "make world".

It worked when I just tested it now in my setup, so hopefully it'll work for you as wel.

-Robert

The discussion might have continued from here.