OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Feature: upgrade of kernel and rootfs in atheros-2.6 (and not only)?

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
I already talked with some developers about that. I would like to update my Meraki firmware without using Redboot via serial console or socket (so using Webif, o using mtd in the shell).
Someone explained me that vmlinuz partition has not a fixed size and so OpenWrt, during the reflash, can't estabilish the startpoint of rootfs start point in case vmlinuz has changed its size since last flashing process.
That's why at now there isn't an unique firmware image containing both linux and rootfs, or isn't possible to safely upgrade linux and rootfs via mtd.
Will be possible in the very near future to do that or we have to wait some time?
I know there's a deep work under OpenWrt, and I perfectly understand you have to make happy many end-users of OpenWrt. The average end-user has not a serial console to enter to Redboot.
Anyway mine was just a question, not a way to disturb developers very efficent work.
Thanks

(Last edited by ggp81 on 14 Dec 2007, 14:39)

While it would be nice to do it via a web interface using the ap51 command line flasher is even easier. Set your root and vmlinux files and press enter, plug in meraki, and it flashes. Its as easy using tftp is with broadcom based units.

The discussion might have continued from here.