OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Which Asus should I take?

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello!

Can you please tell me which ASUS WLAN Router I should buy?
Of course I wanna use openWRT smile

WL-500g Premium
WL-500W

They are both under 100 Euro.
I like the 2 USB Ports - if they are working you can have your own FTP or Print Server,...

I read that the "WL-500W" isn`t supported that good then the "WL-500W" ???

Did the development go on and the "WL-500W" is right now good supported?

Are there other WLAN Routers under 100 Euro I should take a closer look?

Do I really have to compile openWRT by myself - or are there binaries out there for both routers?

Thanks for your help - Christmas is comming and I need a toy in my holidays - so I should decide fast tongue

Greet`s Erich

here are so many peaple with deep knowlege - please help me with my decision wink

Greet`s Erich

For the Wl-500gP the prebuild image (brcm-2.4) works, so no need to compile one yourself.

According to the Table of Hardware the only difference between the gP and the W is the wireless card and the number of antennas, so theoretically the image should also work for the 500W. But as I don't have one I can't test it, so use it at your own risk.

But as the n-mode for the wireless isn't supported yet, there is currently no difference in function between the two when using openwrt, so its up to you. Though you might get a higher wireless range with the three antennas of the 500W.

(Last edited by KanjiMonster on 17 Dec 2007, 11:19)

OK can anybody else confirm that I can use the Image from the "WL-500g Premium" also for the "WL-500W"??

Now I don`t need the n-mode for WLAN.
If all other features would work like they do on the WL-500g Premium I would buy the WL-500W.
It has for sure a bigger range and maybe there also will be a support for the n-mode in future?

Greet`s Erich

it works

good news smile

WL-500gP is good piece of hardware (I have one), but there some problems with soft. If you want to use only openwrt built in features it's good choice. For example I have unresolved problem with UMTS USB modem. So make the list of features you want and ask google before you buy.

(Last edited by mozdyn on 18 Dec 2007, 22:00)

@mozdyn
Do u only have the UMTS USB modem problem with the original firmware or isn`t it supported in OPENWRT too?

Are there features which are only in the original ASUS firmware which are not implemented in OpenWRT - but are great?

Is there a LIST where I can see all the features working on the ASUS with OpenWRT?
Or can I use a VM-Ware to install OpenWRT - to see the features?

For me important is the downloadmanager the original Firmware has. You can give a HTTP or FTP Job and the ASUS will finish downloading to the USB Harddisc!

Greet`s Erich

The discussion might have continued from here.