OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Help enabling cleartext WDS in Kamikaze between 2 WRT54GL's

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have 2 linksys WRT54GL's that were previously running whiterussian in WDS mode without a hitch. I'm trying to migrate them to Kamikaze. The "main" router went flawlessly, but I can't seem to get the second one's wireless to enable in WDS mode, even without any encryption at all. Second router's wireless config file:

config wifi-device  wl0
        option type     broadcom
        option channel  6

config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option network  lan
        option mode     wds
        option ssid     foobar
        option encryption none
        option bssid '00:1a:xx:xx:xx:xx'   (first router's mac addr)

...when I try to run "wifi", I get:

# wifi
Command 'set up' failed: -1

It falls down when feeding commands to wlc via stdin. I hacked up the broadcom.sh script to dump the commands that it feeds to wlc:

---------[snip]-----------
down
vif 0
enabled 0
vif 1
enabled 0
vif 2
enabled 0
vif 3
enabled 0

ap 1
mssid 1
apsta 0
infra 1

802.11d 0
802.11h 0
rxant 3
txant 3

radio 0
macfilter 0
maclist none
wds none
wds 00:1a:xx:xx:xx:xx
channel 6
country IL0
maxassoc 128
slottime -1

up
---------[snip]-----------

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I assume that "wlc" (and hence "wifi") should be returning without error here, so there must be something wrong with this stream of commands being fed to it in stdin. Any clue on how to figure out what it is that wlc doesn't like?

Sorry, should mention -- both routers now have kamikaze 7.09

I think I've figured it out, I was missing the "ap" part of the configuration. It's not exactly clear in the docs, but you need 2 wifi-iface stanzas in the wireless config -- i.e.:

config wifi-iface

option device   wl0

option network  wifi

option mode     ap

option ssid     foobar
        option encryption none

config wifi-iface

option device   wl0

option network  wifi

option mode     wds

option ssid     foobar
        option bssid    00:1a:xx:xx:xx:xx

...still have some tinkering to do, but I think I'm on the right track now.

From my experience I am not able to do clear text, you need to have psk enabled and not psk2.  You must modify the broadcom wds hotplug scripts to support psk only.  Where nas4not is within the script it must be changed to tkip and not use aes.

This is a problem with the present broadcom driver from what everyone has stated, it will never initiate a link attempting psk2. The scripts will never initiate a link with no encryption set, so you must use psk.

The discussion might have continued from here.