OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: setting up the miau bnc on kamikaze

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hi, i'd like to install and use the miau bnc on my router.

since doing a search with google and a search in the forum didnt bring succes, i've decided to start anew topic.
now here are my specs:

Firmware             OpenWrt Kamikaze - With X-Wrt Extensions 7.09
Kernel         Linux 2.4.34 #18 Mon Nov 26 17:48:54 CST 2007
MAC         00:16:01:F4:7F:F2 
Device         Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Board         Broadcom BCM5352 chip rev 0

i logged in using `ssh root@192.168.1.1`
updated the package list `ipkg update`
installed the miau bnc `ipkg install miau`

and now i am kinda stuck. i have found an example/global configuration file `miaurc` in /jffs/etc/miau. where do i have to put it to use it for me (which is almost the same quaestion as "where is /home/user/.miau?")? or is that file always used?

and how do i start the bnc automatically when the router is booted?

(Last edited by vogelmann on 3 Dec 2007, 12:23)

vogelmann wrote:

and now i am kinda stuck. i have found an example/global configuration file `miaurc` in /jffs/etc/miau. where do i have to put it to use it for me (which is almost the same quaestion as "where is /home/user/.miau?")? or is that file always used?

The config file you're supposed to edit is: /etc/miau/miaurc

Then, just:
/etc/init.d/miau start

vogelmann wrote:

and how do i start the bnc automatically when the router is booted?

/etc/init.d/miau enable

i proceeded as recommended but now i am stuck again:

root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/miau start
[ERROR] Unable to run miau as a daemon

when trying to start the bnc from th command line via:

root@OpenWrt:~/log/miau# /usr/bin/miau -f /etc/miau > /var/log/miau/miau.log 2 >/var/log/miau/error.log

i dont get any error messages but miau doesnt appear in the list of processes (which basically explains the error message above).
any ideas?

so there's nobody up with some ideas? hmm

Well, it's working perfectly for me so I don't know what to tell you.

1) Make sure you use the appropiate package (i.e: http://ipkg.k1k2.de/packages/miau_0.6.4-2_mips.ipk)
2) Make sure your config file has no errors
3) Make sure the port you set up is not being used already

Okay, it was a user mistake ("pebcak"), as usual.
I had a typo, a missing "  and a forgotten option in the "required section" in my /etc/miau/miaurc - so folks make sure to triple-check ur config. This only applies to the "required settings" section of the miaurc. A typo in the optional section did not have any influence.

Since my BNC is up and running now, i suggest this thread to be moved to the "howto"-section as i think, it covers some more aspects, which weren't adressed before.

€dit: yay, this thread is the second result when doing a google search for "miau bnc"

(Last edited by vogelmann on 6 Dec 2007, 10:51)

For your information, I uploaded the patch for updating miau to 0.6.5 and it's already been done (#9680)

The discussion might have continued from here.