OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to do WDS between brcm 2.4 and atheros 2.6?

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Can someone please post a mini-howto or a simple guide to achieving a WDS link between these two?
Both broadcasting SSID at the same time too possible?

There must be someone out there who has both atheros and broadcom radios.

up

i don't think you can do wds between these two platforms, instead look into doing routed client mode

very carefully

I got it working between a Linksys WRT54GL and an Ubiquity LS2, but the WRT54GL was running WR 0.9. The settings for the LS2 were as follows:

The /etc/config/wireless file looks like this:

config wifi-device  wifi0
        option type     atheros
        option channel  5

# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
#       option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
        option device   wifi0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     LS2
        option encryption none

config wifi-iface
        option device   wifi0
        option network  lan
        option mode     wds
        option bssid    "00:1a:70:xx:xx:xx"
        option encryption none

The /etc/config/network file looks like this:

# Copyright (C) 2006 OpenWrt.org

config interface loopback
        option ifname   lo
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   127.0.0.1
        option netmask  255.0.0.0

config interface lan
        option ifname   eth0
        option type     bridge
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   192.168.1.51
        option netmask  255.255.254.0

The WRT54GL is just configured using the X-WRT user interface.

A few pitfalls:

- The letters in the MAC address should be in lower case
- Be careful to use the correct MAC address, I use Netstumbler to read the broadcasted MAC addresses before creating the WDS link
- Set the same channel, or it wont work

(Last edited by ajauberg on 9 Dec 2007, 08:14)

Thank you ajauberg, I will try your approach but I think i've allready done that but it didn't work. Can you also please post your /etc/config/wireless and /etc/config/network from the wrt54gl? I'm interested in seeing what that looks like as I don't use x-wrt.

Cisien and Weedy: not an option as in that case I rely on a single access point which makes it a single point of failure and in case that access point goes down the broadcom router is lost. If I do wds at least I stand a chance of still being connected to a router with a much weaker signal that wouldn't be connected to if in client mode.

Well, there are no /etc/config/network or /etc/config/wireless files in Whiterussian, as it uses NVRAM settings instead.

My advice is to keep the WRT54GL running Whiterussian with the X-WRT web interface on it, it is _very_ easy to configure. There is no reason to run Kamikaze on this device in my opinion.

you mean besides the fact that Kamikaze uses newer versions of the broadcom utils and drivers?

The discussion might have continued from here.