OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: snmpd installed but doesn't start, or respond

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all

I've installed Kamikaze 7.09 on my wrt54g v2, I've added the snmp package, but the daemon doesn't start automatically. Manually starting the service from /etc/init.d starts the process and registers port 161 (udp) to listen, I've opened iptables, but get no response trying to query snmp values (using mrtg's cfgmaker, which works on other hosts...)

Any assistance appreciated

Thanks

You need to do two updates.

1) Add the init.d/snmpd script to /etc/rc.d/... for some reason, when the package is installed, it does not install that symlink:
      ln -s /etc/init.d/snmpd /etc/rc.d/S50snmpd

2) Make sure that you update /etc/snmpd.conf to reflect your community settings.  I believe the default one is 'public'.

When you say you tried to query snmp using mrtg's cfgmaker, what OID are you querying for?

What happens when you try:

snmpwalk -v1 -c {COMMUNITY} {IP_ADDRESS}

Example:

snmpwalk -v1 -c public 192.168.1.1

wcastillo wrote:

1) Add the init.d/snmpd script to /etc/rc.d/... for some reason, when the package is installed, it does not install that symlink:
      ln -s /etc/init.d/snmpd /etc/rc.d/S50snmpd

If the init script contains a line with START=XX (/etc/init.d/snmpd, line #3) then you can use '/etc/init.d/<script> enable' to create the symlink or '/etc/init.d/<script> disable' to remove the symlink. That's the right way to do it.

(Last edited by forum2006 on 29 Nov 2007, 18:33)

Thanks forum2006 for that info.  I remember reading something about using that, but couldn't remember what it actually was.  And yes, i use the value START=XX to determine what SXX value I need to give the symlink when adding it to rc.d.

Where exactly do you get snmpwalk? I'm runnning Fedora, can't find it in the package list...

root@vserver1 ~]# rpm -ql net-snmp-utils |grep snmpwalk
/usr/bin/snmpwalk
/usr/share/man/man1/snmpwalk.1.gz

Install the rpm 'net-snmp-utils'.  I am running fedora core 5, but it should be the same rpm package for 4/6/ and 7.

-W

The discussion might have continued from here.