OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Best ADSL2+ modem/routers for OpenWRT?

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello.

I use a Comtrend 536+ and tired of it not being compatible with OpenWRT. I would like to buy a new ADSL2+ router that is compatible with OpenWRT.

I want one powerful enough to support high load on P2P networks and 802.11n if possible.

I use a Jazztel ADSL2+ connection (promoted as "up to 20m").

Is there a list of ADSL2+ routers which are compatible with OpenWRT? Which are the recommended ones?

Best regards.

(Last edited by timofonic on 23 Nov 2007, 14:35)

"none" adsl2 router will be compatible with OpenWrt because OpenWrt acts already as router.
You will need buy a ADSL ethernet modem (or yes a router but with capability acting as "bridge" modem) like SpeedTouch series ( 510 , 536 , 546 )
In France Speedtouch rocks for its stability & performance.

Sorry but, what's the next AR7 platform then? It seems the DSL stuff is being supported by the SVN.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/AR7Port

(Last edited by timofonic on 23 Nov 2007, 08:59)

I'm not sure if this means it is ADSL2+ already, but my (AR7) D-Link DSL-G604t shows (in /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats) 11 Mb/s maximum attainable rate on my current connection to my ISP, though my subscription is only 1 Mb/s... this is with the ADSL driver in Kamikaze.

Anyone can explain more about this? I see there are tons of info with lists, but not info explaining what one runs better than other or about OpenWRT devices supporting WAN interfaces (DSL, cable, 3G...).

ADSL2+ is a theoretical 24mbps

sorry timofonic about my post ! I have misunderstood your need, I see you would like modem-router compatible with openwrt and support wan embedded ... Goodluck !

Sonic wrote:

sorry timofonic about my post ! I have misunderstood your need, I see you would like modem-router compatible with openwrt and support wan embedded ... Goodluck !

Yes, it seems OpenWRT is starting to support DSL hardware natively in certain ports. I would like to know if a fully stable support for ADSL2+ will be possible soon (a few months) or the task is more difficult.

I'm tired of most ADSL2+ modem-routers and I would prefer a device having both interfaces into one instead two devices (one device for OpenWRT and other for ADSL2+).

timofonic wrote:
Sonic wrote:

Yes, it seems OpenWRT is starting to support DSL hardware natively in certain ports. I would like to know if a fully stable support for ADSL2+ will be possible soon (a few months) or the task is more difficult.

I'm tired of most ADSL2+ modem-routers and I would prefer a device having both interfaces into one instead two devices (one device for OpenWRT and other for ADSL2+).

Me to

AR7 is nearly stable on my regular ADSL connection (build 7038).  It hangs on occasion (multiple bit-torrents at the same time) requiring a reboot to get things back up.  This is on a 3mbps connection.  I can't speak for ADSL2+ since it's not offered in my area, but I'm pretty sure others on here have it working.

I've been meaning to try something more recent and therefore built 9590 the other day.  Just haven't had a chance to put it on the router (DG834Gv2) just yet.

I believe there are also Atheros boards with built in ADSL2+ but I have no idea what models.  Might want to do some searching.

(Last edited by KillaB on 26 Nov 2007, 04:11)

My AR7-based DSL-G624T ( on build 9234 ) never hanged once, there're just some harmless (afaik) errors in dmesg which may have been fixed in later builds.

Cyberlullaby wrote:

My AR7-based DSL-G624T ( on build 9234 ) never hanged once, there're just some harmless (afaik) errors in dmesg which may have been fixed in later builds.

Is it because you don't use it that heavily ? I have always think that 16MB for a device to run 2.6 kernel and a few other programs that deals with
adsl and pppoe/pppoa et al is only just about right. But as soon as wifi and other things are also jammed packed into it, it becomes a little short in memory. What's more if you start to have bit torrent and other stuff .....

Regards.

The discussion might have continued from here.