OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Why my bridge don't work in client mode ???

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

For expose my problem I showing my network:

BRIDGE                                                    BRIDGE
                                      192.168.2.8/24                                         192.168.2.1/24
                                  |--------------------|                                       |---------------|
PC  ----------->    Ethernet                    Wireless   - - - - - - - - ->  Wireless       Ethernet  -------> Internet
192.168.2.10/24       Kamikaze (1) client mode                              Kamikaze (2) AP mode

I had to setup the Kamikaze (1) in client mode with bridged nic (one ethernet and one wireless), because I need to use Kamikaze (1) to link various PC and to permit these to exit in internet.

In this situation Kamikaze(1) cannot communicate with anyone (I don't have ping response between Kamikaze(1) and PC, and between Kamikaze(1) and Kamikaze(2))...

How I can resolve this problem without change Kamikaze (1) mode to wds ???

(Last edited by MrBrooks on 17 Oct 2007, 15:19)

Hi !

Your Client bridge and PC should be in the same subnet

CIao Gerd

My PC and Kamikaze (1) client mode stay in the same subnet  (192.168.2.x/24)

after you edited your 1st post it should be fine (it was working for me time ago with 7.07)
with openwrt 0.9 (WR) it still works
maybe you sould give us more details on your setup (encrytion etc.pp.)

ciao gerd

(Last edited by gerd on 19 Oct 2007, 09:28)

Hi gerd,

I had same problem.

Could you show us how you setup etc/config/network and etc/config/wireless?

Thanks

Jiaxin

:-) no.... its not that i don'T want to post, but meanwhile both setup using wds (for testing purpose)
but afair i setup like in wiki 1st w/o encryption then with encryption

ciao gerd

Sorry... I must have missed it. The only post I found that talked about "first weak, then strong" crypto was quite old and required manual intervention at every reboot of ANY AP...
Could you please post a link?
Tks!

Hi MrBrooks and others,
I have the same problem as yours. Have you got any solution yet?

I read net about it. It said something like this:
1. on old version of OpenWrt, wet mode (bridged client) was supported. and Kamikaze doesn't support it any more; sta mode is for Routed client which you and I don't want it at this configuration.
2. On other hand, if both sta mode and bridge to lan are set, and wet mode is auotmatic set.( Which I didn't understand);
3. DNS and DHCP server must be disabled for bridged client mode;

I have my etc/config/network(for Kamikaze (1)):

# Network configuration file

config interface loopback
        option ifname   lo
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   127.0.0.1
        option netmask  255.0.0.0

config interface lan
        option ifname   "eth0 eth1 ath0"
        option type     bridge
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   192.168.2.8
        option netmask  255.255.255.0
        option gateway  192.168.2.1
        option dns      204.101.110.2

I don't need a wan setting here. Should I?

etc/config/wireless :

config wifi-device      wifi0                                                 
        option type     atheros                                                 
        option channel  6                                                       
        option disabled 0                                                       
config wifi-iface                                                               
        option device   wifi0                                                   
        option network  lan                                                     
        option mode     sta                                                     
        option ssid     MASTERSSID                                                 
        option encryption wep                                                   
        option key      '1'                                                     
        option key1     '12345678901234567890123456'

it doesn't work with or without wep enable.

Any suggestion to fix it?

MrBrooks wrote:

For expose my problem I showing my network:

BRIDGE                                                    BRIDGE
                                      192.168.2.8/24                                         192.168.2.1/24
                                  |--------------------|                                       |---------------|
PC  ----------->    Ethernet                    Wireless   - - - - - - - - ->  Wireless       Ethernet  -------> Internet
192.168.2.10/24       Kamikaze (1) client mode                              Kamikaze (2) AP mode

I had to setup the Kamikaze (1) in client mode with bridged nic (one ethernet and one wireless), because I need to use Kamikaze (1) to link various PC and to permit these to exit in internet.

In this situation Kamikaze(1) cannot communicate with anyone (I don't have ping response between Kamikaze(1) and PC, and between Kamikaze(1) and Kamikaze(2))...

How I can resolve this problem without change Kamikaze (1) mode to wds ???

I've said it several times before, but it looks like I need to repeat myself -

Client mode was written on the assumption that a client is a single computer; when communicating with the access point it deals in terms of 3 mac addresses - client, ap, destination. When multiple devices are communicating through the client, the original mac address of the source is lost; everything appears as the client mac address, causing subtle problems with the networking. We already implement several workarounds, but client mode bridges are still problematic.

Instead, try one of the following -

1> Don't attempt to bridge the networks; give the client and all machines connected to the client a new subnet and set up routing between both subnets to make it seamless. The added separation will also reduce your wireless bandwidth.

2> Wireless Distribution System (WDS). WDS is a point to point link, typically between access points; these point to point connections use a 4 address scheme (adds a source mac address), meaning that WDS links can be used to bridge networks or create wireless repeaters.

mbm wrote:

1> Don't attempt to bridge the networks; give the client and all machines connected to the client a new subnet and set up routing between both subnets to make it seamless. The added separation will also reduce your wireless bandwidth.

Even a WRT54GL can be a psk2 client given this approach?

mbm wrote:

2> Wireless Distribution System (WDS). WDS is a point to point link, typically between access points; these point to point connections use a 4 address scheme (adds a source mac address), meaning that WDS links can be used to bridge networks or create wireless repeaters.

Isn't WDS cleartext? If so, everyone sniffing the connection can get all the network traffic. And it's not hard to change MAC address on a network card (wired or wireless), so it doesn't give any additional security...

The discussion might have continued from here.