OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Just loaded latest Kamikaze, here is my experience

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

OK, this was a wild ride.

I loaded Kamikaze on my WRT54GL router via previous firmware’s web interface. Telnet, set password, SSH. Then I modified some network settings, but I guess I entered something wrong over there. Upon restarting the network, router didn’t come up, I couldn’t even ping it. Oh well. And I couldn’t just re-flash it via the web interface like before. Unplug, plug the computer directly into ADSL modem, weee forgot the default user/pass, found out after few hours, entered admin, setting up the poor modem into router mode with PPPoE to be able to connect to Internet and browse for help. After few hours of research I found about OpenWRT failsafe mode. Activated it, tried to fix /etc/config/network file but it wasn’t there. OK, mounted JFFS2 with /sbin/mount_root, fixed network file there and reboot.

Phew!

Then, I followed this forum post to get me on track with basic essential config.

So, I am now left with default configuration with added PPPoE and wireless. But I also have a bunch of questions smile

1. How do I install Kamikaze again (re-flash it), and how do I revert everything to defaults?

I cleared NVRAM to defaults with this commad: "mtd -r erase nvram". So, given that Kamikaze is not using NVRAM anymore, this is the last time I should use this? (If only using OpenWRT, of-course). The NVRAM is now cleared and it will stay un-touched from now on, right?

And about installing the Kamikaze, I guess I should use this: "mtd -r write openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx linux"? Is this correct? But how do I transfer the image and where? Will there be enough space? Or should I flash it with TFTP?

2. I want to use WPA2 with AES-only encryption (no TKIP and no TKIP-AES).

This is what I have enabled:

option encryption psk2
option key      blalblallala

Is this correct? To what setting above config relates? I guess to WPA2, but I don’t know which encryption it uses, TKIP, AES, TKIP/AES?

3. Wireless filter list. To allow only selected MAC addresses to connect wirelessly. Have no clue how to do this.

4. I would like to use static DHCP if it’s possible. To always give specific IP address to the specific MAC address.

5. I would like to be able to use OpenDNS sometimes. In order to do that I need to set up their two DNS servers. How do I do that? While we’re at it, I would also like dynamic IP support with OpenDNS, so when my IP changes, to report it to OpenDNS. That would be cool.

Other than my lack of knowledge about setting up Kamikaze, this thing rocks! I tried basically every other firmware there is (HyperWRT, HyperWRT Thibor, Tomato, DD-WRT, official firmware, Tarifa etc etc. Got fed up with everything, and compared the sizes of all of them and found out that the Kamikaze is the smallest, just 1.8 MB and thought this could be it!

So now I just need to learn how to set it up and this will be amazing. Thanks developers, with kamikaze, you did a stellar job.

sime wrote:

OK, this was a wild ride...

Welcome to the crowd.  Those close to these things so often loose perspective of what it's like to go through the learning curve.  Your post reminds me so much of myself 2 years ago. smile

I'll try to help...

1. How do I install Kamikaze again (re-flash it), and how do I revert everything to defaults?

I cleared NVRAM to defaults with this commad: "mtd -r erase nvram". So, given that Kamikaze is not using NVRAM anymore, this is the last time I should use this? (If only using OpenWRT, of-course). The NVRAM is now cleared and it will stay un-touched from now on, right?

And about installing the Kamikaze, I guess I should use this: "mtd -r write openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx linux"? Is this correct? But how do I transfer the image and where? Will there be enough space? Or should I flash it with TFTP?

I took the time to setup and use WinSCP.  I highly suggest it to do most everything with files.  The CLI folks won't use it but I think it's perfect for power-gui users.  I use it for editing, copying, backing up, permissions, etc.

I mention WinSCP because it makes it easy to get an image to flash over to /tmp.

It's probably a matter of preference whether you get the file over to /tmp for mtd or catch the tftp window.  I like to keep the tftp option handy because it bails you out of far more.

Be sure you understand the trx/bin differences.  It's easy to create a trx from a bin but knowing when and why is important.

There still exists a few, all Broadcom proprietary stuff for boot or wireless AFAIK, that uses nvram.  I think the et0macaddr variable is one of these.  I also think the bootwait=on enables the tftp window (anyone confirm?).

What you leave in nvram is probably more important for future replacing Kamikaze with firmware that needs it, as I see it.

2. I want to use WPA2 with AES-only encryption (no TKIP and no TKIP-AES).

This is what I have enabled:

option encryption psk2
option key      blalblallala

Is this correct? To what setting above config relates? I guess to WPA2, but I don’t know which encryption it uses, TKIP, AES, TKIP/AES?

Acronym Soup!  I think that's exactly what you want.  It's psk (pre-shared key), ccmp (not tkip), aes encryption.  I think they ran out of intuitive settings when "wpa2" was used only for radius server.  The whole industry has the same trouble with trying to sort wireless options amid all the possibilities.

4. I would like to use static DHCP if it’s possible. To always give specific IP address to the specific MAC address.

Create /etc/ethers.  Look in /etc/dnsmasq.conf for the "read-ethers" line - there's a little blurb on the simple format.

Sorry I can only help on a few things.  Keep with it, you're doing great.

(Last edited by Bill_MI on 14 Oct 2007, 01:19)

Bill_MI wrote:

I took the time to setup and use WinSCP.  I highly suggest it to do most everything with files.  The CLI folks won't use it but I think it's perfect for power-gui users.  I use it for editing, copying, backing up, permissions, etc.

I’m one of those CLI folks, on a Mac.

Bill_MI wrote:

I think that's exactly what you want.  It's psk (pre-shared key), ccmp (not tkip), aes encryption.

Excellent!

Bill_MI wrote:

Create /etc/ethers.  Look in /etc/dnsmasq.conf for the "read-ethers" line - there's a little blurb on the simple format.

Done, it’s working!

Bill_MI wrote:

Sorry I can only help on a few things.  Keep with it, you're doing great.

Thanks for your help, only a few things left from my list! smile

BTW, I noticed that there are some services started by default that I don’t use/need, like web server (httpd), and usb. Are there any other common ones that can be safely disabled if their functionality isn’t needed? I know that almost all of them are essential for working but I think that a few of them can be disabled if not needed. I want to free my lil’ WRT from unneeded work smile

P.S. With Kamikaze, I’m having full signal constantly and not a single drop-out so far, while with other firmwares it was a nightmare sometimes, regular drop-outs, weak signal etc. I just hope it will stay this stable. Boy do I love it. Not to mention not having web based administration interface. There is something strangely satisfying with just pure SSH terminal and banner greeting (which you can also customize along with the hostname) smile

Edit: Just enabled OpenDNS by adding this to the dnsmasq.conf:

dhcp-option=6,208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220

But I would like to be able to dynamically notify OpenDNS when IP address changes so that I can get rid of that annoying OpenDNS Guide page when some site fails to resolve. I’ll look into it tomorrow, maybe there’s some script I could use or something…

(Last edited by sime on 14 Oct 2007, 03:06)

I've been running 7.09 on a WRT54GL and Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 since if first came out and it looks like it's real stable.  All the versions of Kamikaze seem to improve connectivity on the Broadcom wireless devices.  The one thing I was concerned about though was the wireless transmit power level.  Kamikaze seems to crank up the transmit power to a very high level by default.  It probably won't hurt anything but since I don't need that much power, I run a script to set it lower.  It might also help the router run a bit cooler.   

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
# Install wl prior to using this script
# create /etc/init.d/txpwr
# chmod 755 /etc/init.d/txpwr
# run /etc/init.d/txpwr enable
# the stop function just displays the transmit power

START=90

boot() {
        /usr/sbin/wl txpwr 40
}

start() {
        /usr/sbin/wl txpwr 40
}

stop() {
       /usr/sbin/wl txpwr
}

Wow, I think that the default level on official Linksys firmware is 42. Thanks for the script.

(Last edited by sime on 14 Oct 2007, 11:25)

sime wrote:

Edit: Just enabled OpenDNS by adding this to the dnsmasq.conf:

dhcp-option=6,208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220

I could not get that working, I use instead, in /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script ...

Change

for i in $dns ; do

To

opendns="208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220"
for i in $opendns ; do
qwillio wrote:

I could not get that working, I use instead, in /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script ...

Did you restarted dnsmasq and renewed your lease?

The /etc/dnsmasq.conf (option 6) will only affect DHCP clients on the LAN which will receive the OpenDNS servers instead of the router.  The router itself will continue to use ISP-supplied DNS (assuming that's the setup).

The /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script method heads off ISP-supplied DNS servers and replaces them.  LAN clients get the router as DNS which will also be using the OpenDNS servers.  This assumes WAN is DHCP to the ISP, of course.

Different means, same end. smile

(Last edited by Bill_MI on 15 Oct 2007, 12:26)

Ah, I see, so the /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script method is obviously a correct way to properly do it. Thanks qwillio and Bill…

Does anybody know where to setup wireless filter list to allow only specific MAC addresses? Also, is there a way to enable/view/delete UPnP entries?

Ah, thanks Bill, that makes sense. smile

sime wrote:

Does anybody know where to setup wireless filter list to allow only specific MAC addresses? Also, is there a way to enable/view/delete UPnP entries?

I came to a nasty realization this weekend.  After coming up with the "Whiterussian" version for a few years I notice Broadcom wireless features that were built into simple configurations (nvram in Whiterussian) DO NOT EXIST IN KAMIKAZE.

All along I figured it was implemented in /etc/config/wireless until I came to it.

I've never used MAC filtering but things like power control and antenna selection are gone.  The "Wireless Tools" (Broadcom proprietary "wl" executable) has all these features and MAC filtering is one as I recall.

I spent some time trying to get my head around wl.o, wlc, wlcompat, wl, nas, etc.  Their structure is not real clear since it's a mixture of proprietary and OpenWrt.  Maybe you'll have better luck.

I have NO idea why Kamikaze abandoned Broadcom-based wireless and called it a release but my trial of Kamikaze is probably over as a result.  All my production is Whiterussian - but I had been playing with Kamikaze for a month or so in spare time.

EDIT: Sorry I have zilch experience with uPnP.  I believe it's at the mercy of the package(s) used.

(Last edited by Bill_MI on 15 Oct 2007, 22:32)

The discussion might have continued from here.