Hi there!

I was trying to find something about this issue but had no luck...

Is there a way to use/access NVRAM from Kamikaze (2.6 kernels)?
I know it can be accessed via mtd but this "crude" approach is not very "nice" (read the entire partition, make changes, recalculate checksum, write changed parts back)

The main reason for that being the possibility to retain the configuration during firmware upgrade. The problem with current approach is that the configuration cannot be retained during re-flash and the "late" configuration of the switchports (vlans etc). The only way is to prepare a specific image which include the configuration to be flashed to a specific device... not very nice...
The idea is to make the /etc a tmpfs "partition" and populate if at boot. When you make some changes, and screw things up... just reboot and you're back as nothing happened... after testing, issue a "save config" command which will take the tmpfs "/etc"  tgz+base64 it and store it in NVRAM (for brcm and other boards) or in a separate partition where possible (x86...) - something like what's done in freewrt.

So, I checked the "nvram patch" for the WR on 2.4 kernel... as I understood, the "nvram access" is actually divided in two parts, the user-space "nvram utility" and the "kernel nvram r/w utils", right? 
Some time ago I just tried to apply/compile that patch on a 2.6 kernel (really a quick try, nothing fixed/changed...) but it seems there are some "low level" functions missing in the underlaying "platform patches" (write to nvram)...

Did anyone managed to get the nvram working again under 2.6 kernels?

Or, are there any suggestions on how to accomplish this in some other (more elegant?) ways?

Kind regards,
M.Culibrk

(Last edited by mculibrk on 2 Oct 2007, 10:25)