OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How do I overclock the CPU in Kamikaze?

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Do I use the 'uci set clkfreq' command or something similar.? I'm using a wrt54gl.

same use than WR, no ?
=> wiki overclock => nvram set ... / nvram commit

(Last edited by $@m on 21 Sep 2007, 15:55)

Do not over clock. Stop this...

$@m wrote:

same use than WR, no ?
=> wiki overclock => nvram set ... / nvram commit

Yep, it's the same.

nvram set clkfreq=***
nvram commit
reboot

For what its worth, when I tried to overclock my router, I made a brick.  Then I found out that the cpu speed is set so early in the boot process, it was _very_ difficult to debrick, even with jtag.  I dont even try overclocking anymore.

I thought that nvram was halted in the Kamikaze versions.?

No, the nvram is still used for such things, I believe stuff like MAC address and other things that are static are still there. Basically things that aren't really part of a configuration. Most every configuration uses uci (read: text files basically).

And I've personally bricked 2 routers by overclocking, so really you shouldn't anyway unless you can jtag.

(Last edited by napierzaza on 21 Sep 2007, 20:44)

I test all frequencies on mine... so i won a brick each time or an unstable routeur...
so I debricked it by jtag without probleme (erase nvram)
the only frequences that run perfectly are : the original and the maximal (with a small P100 fan without fan)

(Last edited by $@m on 24 Sep 2007, 13:20)

$@m how much % did you overclock you router?

$@m wrote:

I test all frequencies ...
the only frequences that run perfectly are : the original and the maximal (with a small P100 fan)

so mine is from 200 to 300 (the max)

but I put a heatsink on CPU, RAM, transciever, and a diode (because consumption increases) everything that was hot big_smile
for stablility

I do the same thing on a wrt54Gv1.1 but I must add a fan hmm for stability

(Last edited by $@m on 24 Sep 2007, 13:31)

I thought that nvram was halted in the Kamikaze versions.?
No, the nvram is still used for such things, ...

Not on my Netgear, it's not - there's no "nvram" command to be found.

I put a heatsink on CPU, RAM, transciever, and a diode ...

So, all those heatsinks - even on a diode!? - so that you could get a 300 MHz machine? I can't quite convince myself that this was worth it. Let your 200 MHz router be a router, and let some other CPU handle the over-200MHz tasks...

Each one does what he wants wink

it is a priceless modification (all heatsinks are from old machines) and my router is quiet stable.

Why I put one everywhere ? because temperature increase everywhere so have the best exanche between routeur and air, I put one one each hot chip. Maybe it is not necessary, but it free wink so why don't do that ?

Why overclock ? see the the wiki wink

The discussion might have continued from here.