OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Recommendation needed - Linksys router for OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I'd like to hear recommendations from community - what Linksys router is the best to use with OpenWRT?
I have read FAQ and identified that Linksys WRTSL54GS "Wireless-G Storage Router" should work fine.
But it is not sold in Russia, where I am living.

Good news is that WRT54GL available.
Should it work well enough?

Another question - about draft-N wireless routers from Linksys.
Models:
WRT150N   Wireless-N Home Router
WRT300N   Wireless-N Broadband Router
WRT350N   Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link

Have someone tried those models?
Does any of those work with OpenWRT?
I am not constrained on budget, I just want best available platform for OpenWRT - current release and future versions.

Thanks to any comments/tips!

Cheers,
Vadim

(Last edited by vplessky on 19 Sep 2007, 17:58)

vplessky wrote:

Good news is that WRT54GL available.
Should it work well enough?

It's a pretty good and very stable router for OpenWrt. It supports both Whiterussian and Kamikaze, it's up to you to choose your firmware. You just have to remember to set boot_wait=on, and your risk of bricking it is very very low.

I never tried Linksys N product, so I can't tell you anything about them.

I've used a WRT54G v3.1 with WhiteRussian RC5-6, and 0.9, and a WRT54GL v1.1 with WR 0.9 and Kamikaze 7.06-09.  Both work great, but I couldn't tell you about the draft-N's.

Here is more complete list of models available for immediate purchase (EU-European models):

WRT300N-EU     Router Linksys Broadband Wireless-N 802.11n (WRT300N-EU)
WRT54G-EU      Router Linksys Wireless Access Point w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g (WRT54G-EU)
WRT54GC-EU    Router Linksys Broadband Compact Wireless-G 802.11g (WRT54GC-EU)
WRT54GL-EU     Router Linksys Wireless Access Point w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g and Linux (WRT54GL-EU)
WRT54GR-EU     Router Linksys Broadband Wirelsss-G 802.11g with RangeBooster (WRT54GR-EU)
WRT54GS-EU     Router Linksys Broadband Wirelsss-G 802.11g with SpeedBooster (WRT54GS-EU)
WRV200-EU       Router Linksys Wireless-G 802.11g VPN with RangeBooster (WRV200-EU)
WTR54GS-EU     Router Linksys Travel Wireless-G with SpeedBooster 802.11g (WTR54GS-EU)
WRT150N-EU     Router Linksys Wireless-N Home (WRT150N-EU)
WRT350N-EU     Router Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit with Storage Link (WRT350N-EU)
WRVS4400N-EU    Router Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Security with VPN (WRVS4400N-EU)

I need to make selection out of those models.
Or consider purchasing ASUS WL-500g Premium.

Has someone had a chance to compare ASUS WL-500g with Linksys WRT54GL?

I have a Wl 500Gp- I like it, but with one caveat, I can use kamikaze 7.07+ in 2.6 mode. seems like 7.07 started to use the 2.6.22 kernel and there are some broadcom stability issues - random segfaults.  There doesn't seem to be much work happening on that front.  I am not sure if it affect the linksys machine - but i am guessing so - as they are broadcoms!

I like the extra ram and the external usb ports. I am currently booting from usb stick, with a failback image i built myself on the actual router

One thing I am doing it using 7.06 kernel stuff - its 2.6.19 and building the rest of the packages from trunk, this should be okay as long as I don't try and install any kernel related packages

If your are planning to use Wi-Fi on your broadcom router, you have anyway to use 2.4 kernel. 2.6 kernel doesn't support Wi-Fi since the wireless driver has to be fixed.

ggp81 wrote:

If your are planning to use Wi-Fi on your broadcom router, you have anyway to use 2.4 kernel. 2.6 kernel doesn't support Wi-Fi since the wireless driver has to be fixed.

or you can replace the mini pci card with an atheros wifi card - like I have done

vplessky wrote:

Has someone had a chance to compare ASUS WL-500g with Linksys WRT54GL?

I have both of them here with me on my testbench right now.  Both are equally stable, on white russian.

I want to sell off all my WRT units because I am beginning to feel they are too small for OpenWRT.  I have two I have to reflash (can I just delete /jffs and reboot?) because I tried putting too much into them (Vtun + pipsec + tcpdump).

Other than that, at $55, the WRT are great units for people who don't need the extra features (just debugging and VPN) nor the USB ports.  If you want to do heavier stuff (SMB, NFS, anything with USB) or anythign beyond firewalling, consider the Asus unit.

I hope asus is smart enough not to suddenly quit making these.

(sorry for the spam.  Didn't realize I'd already replied to this one)

(Last edited by bishopolis on 27 Nov 2007, 14:27)

The discussion might have continued from here.