OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WDS+WPA with Kamikaze 7 / brcm-2.4

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

It is my understanding (from forum searches here) there there were bugs related to WDS in Kamikaze 7.06.  I tried the latest build (July 20, from nbd's area) of 7.07 and WDS does work without encryption.  However, whenever I enable _any_ encryption (I've tried psk, psk2, and wep) the WDS link breaks.

Please keep in mind that I changed only two lines on each router in /etc/config/wireless --
    option encryption ${psk, psk2, wep}
    option key      "my-password"

when they are commented out, everything works and WDS is established.  When I re-enable them -- and they are pasted verbatim into each configuration file -- it breaks WDS.

Please understand that I'm not asking for a fix, or even a timeline.  I just want to know if this _should_ work, or if it is a known issue.  Forum posts in my searches are inconclusive, but I see reports from people who say it works so I'm not sure.

Thanks for your great work with OpenWRT and Kamikaze!

It works here with psk and psk2 on 7.07 built from a snapshot taken around July 5th. Did you add those two lines to both the AP and WDS sections of the wireless configuration file?

Okay, I got WDS working again with WEP.  However, WEP is broken very badly and I would far prefer not to use it.  Is there any chance of getting WPA support for the WDS link?

In response to placebo's question, yes, I did add the encryption lines to both sections.  This is my new configuration file; I rewrote it from scratch when the previous one wasn't working.  It _does_ work unencrypted and with wep, but the moment I add in WPA the WDS link breaks.

config wifi-device  wl0
        option type     broadcom
        option channel  8

# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
        option disabled 0

config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     chai
        option encryption wep
        option key      "(my wep key goes here)"

config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option network  lan
        option mode     wds
        option bssid    "--:--:--:--:--:--"
        option ssid     chai
        option encryption wep
        option key      "(my wep key goes here)"

One change I did make was to modify 20-broadcom_wds with the changes posted by nlh in this thread. I'm also using different SSIDs for WDS and the regular wireless network.

Ah, thank you.  I put the changes into the hotplug.d script and it is now working.

Thanks very much.  I hope nbd gets this into 7.07.

There's a fix for this? Dammit.

It appears that, according to dev.openwrt, this has not been corrected? It's strange considering there is even a good fix (in the link provided by placebo). It's kind of odd that it didn't make it into 707, of may not even make it into 708 considering it wasn't changed yet. Is there any reason why? Seems clean enough.

The discussion might have continued from here.