mbm wrote:

Moving the configuration from NVRAM to JFFS2 has allowed us to organize the configuration in a meaningful way, removing the obscure variable names and even adding comments to the config files. That's not to say that it isn't without a few drawbacks, namely the fact reflashing will wipe the filesystem and reinstall the default configs -- this seems to be the biggest concern, and understandably so. Here's what's going to happen:

* When reflashing from one Kamikaze release to the next, there will be an upgrade util to preserve your settings -- provided you reflash from within OpenWrt/Kamikaze. (currently a work in progress)
* If you reflash to Kamikaze from another firmware, or use tftp, the configuration will not be preserved, and the device will revert back to Kamikaze's defaults.

Everyone will start with the same defaults (as limited by the model) and it's assumed that you will always reflash using the upgrade util to upgrade to the next release. If for any reason you lock yourself out or want to reset to defaults, you simply reflash.

In WR the WAN parameters are stored in NVRAM. This has a very nice effect: After flashing a WRT the device has access to the internet and can be remotely managed. Using Kamikaze this is not possible ("work in progress" as mbm wrote). If I reflash I will lock myself out since the WAN settings are lost. How do you guys who manage WRTs remotely handle this? Have you already switched from WR to Kamikaze?

Thanks,
lc