OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: openwrt on the netgear wgt624

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Good day.  I have a netgear wgt624 ver3 and I would like to get openwrt on
it.  From my reading I understand that I have an atheros 2.6 chip and I
would have to download the kamikaze version.  The download section has the following files:

openwrt-atheros-2.6-root.jffs2-64k
openwrt-atheros-2.6-root.jffs2-128k
openwrt-atheros-2.6-root.squashfs
openwrt-atheros-2.6-vmlinux.elf
openwrt-atheros-2.6-vmlinux.gz
openwrt-atheros-2.6-vmlinux.lzma

Which file above would I use ?  From the Openwrt document on my router for a version 3 I see reference
to using "RAMDISK" as the file system, thus taking jffs2 and squashfs out of the picture (if I interpreted that right).

I may be able to swap some settings on the router (to enable the tftp boot
etc) but I don't know which file to send to the router or the proper
commands to send it over.

Do you have any suggestions on the proper procedure / file I could use in
this endeavor ?

Hi Smurphy_it,

Basically you need a new bootloader. Unfortunately there isn't one freely available for that board yet. The other bit of bad news is that even if you did manage to get a bootloader on there, you couldn't do anything with the board anyway. The Flash is only 2Mb which doesn't really cut the mustard.

TTFN

Mike

On the openwrt page for the Netgear wgt624 it states the Flash RAM is 4MB and under the "Boot via TFTP" section it indicated that Kamikaze boots up fine over TFTP when configured to use ramdisk for the root filesystem (wgt624v3).

Could this mean that the flash ram is 2MB instead of 4MB with Versions 1 & 2.  Also when I looked up the autopsy photos of a wgt624v3 I looked at the numbers on the chips and googled them.  One is a 16MB SDRAM, and the other is a 16MB serial flash for code storage.  Only other chip I found was the Marvell network switch.

(Last edited by smurphy_it on 1 Jun 2007, 14:42)

Hi Smurphy_it,

So 16Mbit serial flash M25P16 (probably) which means to get the real MByte value we need to divide by 8, which is 2Mbytes. All flash memories are quoted in their organisation (2Mbx16) or in Mbits.

Mike

Yeah I noticed that yesterday (must of read it wrong when I done a quick search the other day).  I was going to post something this morning stating the fact, but looks like you beat me to it!

The image on the openwrt page is 2MB for the atheros 2.6 image, but that leaves no room for anything.  Mainly I just want the standard stuff + x-wrt (webif^2 package), wireless tools (wpa and wep encryption) and ssh, but I don't know how much luck I'm going to have with that.  I heard of mini and micro versions of Openwrt. 

Still annoying that a vendor (netgear in this case) would have a 4MB flash on versions 1 & 2 and then drop down to 2 MB for the version 3.  One would imagine that makes bad business sense (or afraid of openwrt, dd-wrt, freewrt, etc).

Confirmed it here; the netgear wgt624v3 is a 2M device.

Then perhaps this information could be added to the Hardware page.  I created a wiki account with the intent on changing it, but apparently I don't have rights to change the "Table of Hardware page" or the "Netgear WGT624 page".

Could someone reflect this change in the Table of hardware page / and the netgear wgt624.  Just need to state that the WGT624v3 is only a 2MB flash chip and still has 16MB RAM.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware
and
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … ear/WGT624

Thank you.

The discussion might have continued from here.